Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

my cat keeps pooping outside the litter box. I can put fresh

my cat keeps pooping outside the litter box. I can put fresh clean litter in there, she will go one time and then it is outside of it all the time. I have used order control cleaners to make sure the smell is not there on the floor. (this in my basement she is doing this). I have used the same brand of litter and cat food. I took her to the vet last August they told me it was a behavior problem that she is mad at me. they ran test and also gave her a steriod shot b/c she also gets scaps and bumps on her and she loses her furr also. that seem to help b/c she got her fur back and no bumps and she stop pooping on the floor until this January she started again. I really don't know what to do, I am fed up with the mess. please help. thanks April

Hi April,

How old is she?

Is the poop normal, hard or loose?

Indoor kitty?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hello Terri,

I believe she is like 7 or 8 yrs of age?? Her is poop is hard and then this morning it was a little bit of soft. I had to put cat litter on it to clean it up. and then clean the spot. She is suppose to be an inside cat, but like to go outside and lay in the sun or roam the back yard. (it is fenced, but she can go around to the front of the house.)

Hi April,

I am sorry you are having this problem. Cats don't get "mad", they are incapable of human emotions.They do, however, "talk" with their waste.

Something is bothering her. It could be pain, stress or illness.

Those "sores" are called Miliary Dermatitis and are quite annoying to her:

Miliary Dermatitis:

You can put plain neosporin om them or get her a shot of depo medrol.

Make sure she is not bothered by fleas.

Whenever a formerly clean kitty begins to soil out of box, she is usually trying to communicate some sort of pain or distress to her human "mom" or "Dad"

Cats may not seem unwell because it is their nature to hide an illness as long as possible but if the urine or stool is abnormal in any way - that will be your first clue. If her appetite is different that is an indication as well.

Your cat may have a urinary tract infection.

UTI's must be treated with an effective broad spectrum antibiotic like Clavamox or clidamycin and for a long enough duration so all bacteria is eradicated. If not, they will refluorish, stronger and more resistant and re infect her . In addition, the bacteria can become tolerant of the same antibiotic so the medication should be varied for best results.

Anything new is very stressful to a cat because kitty's HATE change and stress can lead to illness so you want to watch for any developing symptoms.

Give her a teaspoon of plain yogurt every day. That will keep "good" bacteria in his colon.

She can also have one drop of unsweetened cranberry juice every day to lower the PH of herstool and urine.

If this continues or gets worse she should be checked.She is not just doing this to annoy you or because he got mad as cats do not think like that - she may not feel well and is trying to let you know about it.Or she is confused..

Sometimes cats become "picky" about the condition of their box and do not want to share or use the same one for both things..Try adding an additional one and see if that helps.

Also try cat attract litter sold in pet supply stores. Clean any soiled areas with an enzyme product so he can no longer smell it. Bleach will not fool a cats nose either

She may be marking in a desperate attempt to reattain her head cat status or she may just be intimidated or sick.

Spray with feliway to fool her into thinking items are already marked. Try rescue remedy sold in pet supplies and is rubbed on the gums.

Clean with an enzyme product like zero odor or odor mute because regular detergents will not fool her either. With carpet you must lift it and treat the padding.

For concrete use this product:

Normal cat urine will glow under a black light in a darkened room. This is an easy way to locate areas of inappropriate urination. The strongest, most effective odor removal product currently on the market is called Urine Off. It is not recommended to clean the area prior to using this product. It is available at many veterinary clinics, pet stores, and online.

Please let me know how she is doing. if you still have questions, I will always be here for you.

I hope she stops real soon and feels better!

Very sincerely,