Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

my cat hurt his leg i took him to a vet and they said it will

Customer Question

my cat hurt his leg i took him to a vet and they said it will be fine it will heel itself with some rest , now the cat is urinating on himself while laying down and same for the bowels what should i do could this be from the hurt leg or something else ???
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 5 years ago.

Dear Nicole,

Wow! That is totally not normal and I can't imagine that would be from an injured leg.

Is he able to stand and walk?

When did you take him to the vet?

Is he eating and drinking?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I know its not normal .. she is able to limp on her leg. she was at the vet yesterday and she is eating and drinkin that is what is throwing me off i know she is on pain meds .could that make her numb so she doesnt feel it coming out .. Someone said this could be kidney failure how can that be from a spained leg?? Please i spent hundres of dollars already at the emergency vet and the regular vet in the ;last two days ..they want me ot bring her in tomorrwo and do blood and xrays ..is there a place on long island that you know can help ???THANK YOU
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 5 years ago.

Oh, pain meds...

What medicines is she on?

Why did the vet want to do bloodwork for a sprained leg?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
She got a buprenex shot on 3/29 when i took her to the emergency vet and yesterday 3/30 the regular vet gave her 1 mg of metacam and 1 ml of procaine pen g what ever that is ...when i calle dthe vet today he couldnt understand why she was urinating on herself so he said we should do blood work to rule out other stuff being she is old (10) and over weight 19 lbs she ways ...but she never ever had a urinating or bowel problem befrow this.. I checked there is no blood in the urine or stoole she is herself other than her leg ..it's semms the cat dont even know that she is going to the bathroom on herself it just comes out.....I feel so bad could the 2 different medications be doin this to her ?????
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 5 years ago.

Can you check something for me? Can you feel all her feet and see if the paws are all the same temperature?

Can she stand or walk if you put her on her feet?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
her paws all feel the same and yes she can satnd and walk even on the leg that is hurt ....Yesterday at the vet she had a temputure could that have something to do with it?
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 5 years ago.

Yes.

She could have a fever. Do you have a thermometer?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what kind of thermometer do u use on a CAT ...I was told by the vet to check if her anus is tight or lose it semms to be opened a little what does that mean i thought it was kinda wird to check that ......could a fever make her be lossing control .because like i said she seems to be fine otherwise which kind of thermometer do i use
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 5 years ago.

Just a plastic digital thermometer that you use on humans is good. Take is rectally until it beeps.

The anal tone recheck was to see if the nerves that control her anal tone were still functioning.