Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

Our almost 20 year old cat is dying. She stopped eating about

Our almost 20 year old cat is dying. She stopped eating about two days ago. She moves around a little, but on wobbly legs, mainly laying down and resting. She doesn't appear to be in pain, but we just don't know what is more human, whether to just make her comfortable and let her die at home or take her to the vet and euthanise her. She HATES going to the vet.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 5 years ago.

I am so sorry your baby is so ill . This is always the most difficult decision a pet owner faces.

I would not want her last memory to be something she hates. Do you have a mobile vet that could come over?

I know you want her to pass at home but she may linger for days so you should make her as comfortable as possible by offering her tuna water or milk to drink.

Cats are attracted to smelly foods - the stronger the better. If she wants tuna, give it to her You can also try fancy feast, clam juice or baby food.

human baby food in meat flavours (check that there are no onions or garlic in the ingredients) and mix that with warm water and offer that, or syringe it in little bits into your cat's mouth. Beech Nut makes a line of baby food that has nothing but meat (beef, chicken, turkey or veal) in it. Here's a link: http://www.beechnut.com/Our%20Baby%20Food/Results.asp If you cannot find this, you could find another meat baby food - just read the label carefully to be sure there are no onions, onion powder, garlic, or garlic powder in it.

.

If her tummy needs a rest, feed baby food with no onion or garlic for a few days.

If she wont eat, and your cat is not diabetic begin by giving her two droppers (cc size) of unflavored pedialyte every ten minutes for an hour. Next water down(plain water) canned cat food or baby food chicken or turkey with no onion or garlic and give only one dropper every ten minutes for another hour. Wait two hours and repeat both. When she feels hydrated she will lick up the gruel on her own.

Give her droppers of unflavored pedialyte a few times a day to make sure she stays hydrated.

Please let me know how she is doing. I will always be here for you.

Sincerest best wishes,

Terri

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We've tried milk, chicken juice and all her favorites over the last few days including a calorie suppliment she use to eat like candy, but she will just drink a few sips of water. We have not tried a syringe. If we do not force feed her at all will she just die of dehydration? We have euthanized three other cats over the years all eighteen to twenty years old. It was difficult, but a relatively good experience in that they passed peacefully in our arms. With the others they did not have the panic that she has for going to the vet. We just are not sure about the process she's going through and how to help her best.
Expert:  Terri replied 5 years ago.

I understand.............your girl is very elderly. You have given her 20 wonderful years of love and devotion.May God bless you!

Nobody wants her last moments to be those of panic and stress.That would be awful for all of you.

If she is drinking I would just add an ounce of pedialyte to her water or offer tuna water.

I will be here so please just email if you, need anything at all.

Love,

Terri

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your help. I'll get some pedialyte (is it at a pharmacy?) and keep offering her tuna juice and water. Will her heart just stop? We've been basicly a kitty hospice for many years with each of our cats reaching very old age, but this is the first time one has dyed at home and really we're at a loss for how much we should do and how much we just let the natural course of things happen.
Expert:  Terri replied 5 years ago.

You can get pedialyte in the baby dept of any sore. It is a hydration solution.

She will stop eating and drinking and deteriorate but no one can estimate how long the process will take.

Just follow your heart and you will know whaat to do........

Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience: Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.