Dr Caroline
Dr Caroline, Veterinarian
Experience:  20 yrs of cat dog practice, general practice, emergency, certified in veterinary acupuncture 2006

Cat: is usually very quiet and lazy

Cat is usually very quiet and lazy. He may have gotten into something not sure. He is wailing terribly every 10 mins. His eyes are dialated. He purs when pet and will let me hold him. He isnt frothing or any mucis. He wails and then moves to a hidden place. cubbard, bed sheets now between the box spring.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr Caroline replied 7 years ago.

to better assist you, can you answer the following questions?

How old is your kitty?

What breed is your kitty?

Is there any concurrent illnesses?

Is he allowed outdoors?

Does he hunt?

Any heart murmur known?

Does he act blind?

Any limping in the hind limbs?

Have you seen him go to the litter box today?

Let me know, looking forward to assist you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
hes 5
lilac point siamese
no current illness...playful all day
not allowed outdoors
doesnt hunt
no heart murmurs that I know of
yes hes acting blind...he acted startled after I was already petting him
He was gripping at the ground with his hind legs earlier when he first showed signs 4 hrs ago.
havent seen him in the litter box

It seems like he has some blockage and its getting worse.

Hi, when you mentioned he looks like he has a blockage, what is he doing?

you mentioned he was gripping at the ground, on all 4 legs?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
He was sitting up funny earlier with his back claws out. I forgot to mention that he threw up dog food earlier.
He lays on his back and will tuck his head underneath himself which is rather strange as well.   

I can't tell what is causing him to do this since the symptoms are not specific of any single illness. However, with the vocalization, and the dilated eyes, several possibilities comes to mind:

-Painful problem:

.usually a urinary blockage they try to urinate, maybe that is what is doing when he is hiding.

.abdominal pain: so many conditions, not possible to list them all

. other painful situation.

-Diabetes/kidney disease: have you noticed an increase in water intake, urination in the last few weeks, months?

-Heart disease: sometimes no prior symptoms. Cats can develop a thick heart muscle (hypertrophic cardiomyopathy), this will cause less blood to be pumped at each heart beat, so the heart muscle needs to compensate.

- FIE: feline ischemic encephalopathy. This is a vessel spasm not a stroke.

-Dilated eyes, acting blind. Hypertension (retinal detachments) from kidney insufficiency/failure. cancer, auto-immune disorder, infectious (less likely if not going outdoors, and not other new kittys in the household, not hunting, or not eating raw food), coagulation disorder.

-Brain disease.

Unfortunately a lot of conditions are possible. A good physical examination will include the heart/lung auscultation, eye examination with an ophtalmoscop to check the retinas, an abdominal palpation ( may help detect constipation, an abnormal bladder, etc). depending of the physical examination, the veterinarian may discuss treatments and/or diagnostic tests.

I would recommend you seek veterinary care today, since we do not know the origin of the problem. Since some of those problems are life threatening, I would not wait.

Let me know if you have more questions, or need additional information.

If this is helpful, do not forget to select the ACCEPT button.