Dr Caroline
Dr Caroline, Veterinarian
Experience:  20 yrs of cat dog practice, general practice, emergency, certified in veterinary acupuncture 2006

cat: her antibiotics..nose..milk..her.She only wanted to drink water

our cat who was almost 20yrs old first developed dribbling at the mouth around the end of janurary.I then took her to the vet who gave her antibiotics and a blood test which confirmed her kidneys were ok but she had a slight thryoid condition.Later one of her teeth fell out and she began to develop a discharge from the nose and dribbled blood on her pillow.As time went on she found it harder and harder to eat and could only manage the special cat milk that I bought for her.She only wanted to drink water in the later stages and by thistime she had lost much weight.The side of her face was swollen in the earlier stages but seemed to go down in the later stages.She just laid down and died on the 18 march but up until that time she never seemed to be in any pain.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr Caroline replied 7 years ago.

I am sorry to hear about the passing of your cat.

20 years old is a very respectable age for any cats! That is awesome, you have taken good care of her to go so far.

I will not be able to tell you exactly of what your cat died of, but I can give you possibilities from the information you gave me.

Bloody nasal discharge is what is striking me the most with he face swelling.

She might have had an abscess from the tooth, it got into the bone and eventually in the sinus. Let me put a link here about dental disease:

Or she may have had a tumor in her mouth that spread into the sinus cavity. We do see Squamous cell carcinoma in cat's mouth, it is a very invasive cancer and destroy everything in its path:

The fact she did not eat much could be form a painful mouth. Cats are very good to hide their signs of pain, it is a survival instinct. Pain is graded form 1 to 10 with 10 being the worse. Some mild to moderate signs may not show much.

Or she may have had some other disease process decreasing her appetite. Having the hyperthyroid condition will make them loose weight that they are eating or not. So it probably contributed to her weight loss .

Let me know if you have more questions, or need additional information.

I am sorry again for your loss, remind yourself that you had her for 20 years and you did your best to take good care of her.

If this is helpful, do not forget to select the ACCEPT button.

Thank you for your question, and take care.