Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My cats stomach is really swollen and when I feel it, it feels

My cat's stomach is really swollen and when I feel it, it feels full and bloated. He's not complaining but he's not as active as he used to be. He is a young cat. I found him when he was a kitten. I'm getting ready to get him neutered. Is this maybe a blockage he has or maybe worms?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 7 years ago.
Can you answer a couple questions:

1. How old is he?
2. Has he been dewormed?
3. Has he been vaccinated?
4. Any vomiting/ diarrhea/ sneezing?
5. Does the belly feel more firm like he's bloated or fluidy like a firm water balloon?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
He is about a year I'm guessing...he was just a kitten last winter when I found him so no he has not been dewormed yet or vaccinated. I was getting ready to take him in to get neutered,vaccinated and everything. He is not vomting nor has diarrhea nor sneezing. He feels bloated.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 7 years ago.
Ok thanks,

Hopefully he is just carrying a large worm burden and a couple dewormings should resolve this. The one thing that needs to be ruled out is FIP (feline infectious peritonitis). These cats will have an abdomen full of fluid and there is no effective treatment as the disease is nearly 100% fatal in young cats (< 2 year old cats usually). They often have other clinical signs that your cat is not experiencing. The fluid can usually be diagnosed on palpation, ultrasound or even a diagnostic abdominal tap. I would get him seen in the next couple days to rule out FIP and to get him on a good deworming protocol. If it is worms, you'll likely see long round worms looking like spaghetti coming out in the feces the few days after giving the dewormer. This is normal. Once the worm load has been resolved, neutering and vaccination may be done.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.