Christian K.
Christian K., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  12 year of veterinary experience in feline surgery, medicine and behavior
15186300

My cats tail has been down for about four days and doesnt

My cat's tail has been down for about four days and doesn't seem to move. He doesn't jump up as much as climb since I have noticed this. I have tried to feel for some injury on his tail and haven't been able to find anything to indicate that his tail has been hurt. He seems to be eating normally and is not acting like he is hurt or sick. If it helps, we do have a daughter, 7 and a son, 3.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Christian K. replied 7 years ago.

Hello screaminhello,

This is Dr. Christian.

• Does he lift the tail in the litterbox?
  • Does he swish it around at all or does it just drag on the floor?
  • Is he indoor or outdoor?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I haven't noticed him in the litter box, I have been wondering about that. He doesn't swish it at all and he is primarily indoor; although he does get out occasionally.
It sounds like he may have a nerve injury to his tail. If damage to the nerves occurs then the tail can basically go numb (like a leg falling asleep). This problem is usually caused by some sore of trauma (run over, severely pulled or caught in a door are a few possibilities). It is possible with time to gain nerve function but sometimes this does not occur and the tail is permanently damaged. In those cases it is recommended to amputate the tail because it tends to get feces on it and injured easily (such as caught in a door). I would recommend taking him to your vet to have the tail checked for neurologic function. If you have more questions please let me know.