Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience

My cat has a bald spot in between his shoulder blades. At first

Customer Question

My cat has a bald spot in between his shoulder blades. At first I thought he might have been a victim of some toddler bulling but we went out of town for a few days and it seems to have gotten bigger. Any ideas what could be wrong?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.

It's possible that your cat has ringworm, a fungal skin infection which causes hairloss.

The vet can make a diagnosis in person, after looking at this bald spot with a special light.

If your cat is on a monthly topical flea preventative, and this is the spot where you apply it, he may be exhibiting an adverse reaction to the flea treatment.

An allergic reaction to something else he was exposed to or rubbed up against, is also possible.

I hope you're able to have your cat evaluated by the vet, as soon as possible, to get a definite diagnosis, and then, the most appropriate treatment for your kitty.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I looked him over again and it looks like he has a couple more spots on his head that are forming. They are not red or irritated looking at all. Also, I am a little confused as to how he could have contracted ringworm. He is NEVER allowed outside and the kids are not infected. Is it still possible to contract this fungus.
Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.
Hello again, and thanks for your reply.

Because ringworm is communicable between humans and cats and cats and humans, sometimes, if it IS present, it's difficult to know from where it originated. Sometimes cats and kids/humans are carriers, and you won't see any visible signs, immediately.

This may not BE ringworm, it's just a possibility that needs to be explored with a test from the vet. Hairloss can also be caused by external parasites like fleas and mites. Even though he's an indoor-only cat, he can still get fleas, which are brought in on the shoes and pantlegs of humans. Mites (specifically sarcoptic mange mites) are microscopic, so you wouldn't see them.

Because you now see spots on his head as well, the condition is spreading, so I hope you're able to have him evaluated in person by the vet, to determine the cause.