Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

My cat has been wheezing and coughing but nothing comes up.

My cat has been wheezing and coughing but nothing comes up. She will be 8 in August can you tell me what we can do to help her?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 5 years ago.
Hi thereCustomer

Thank you for your question regarding your 7 year old girl who has been coughing and wheezing! As you can probably appreciate, there are a few syndromes that can cause these symptoms. Hopefully your girl is all up to date with cat flu vaccinations as these can be the first two symptoms of cat flu. If you have noticed much of a discharge from her nose and eyes, then I really would recommend getting her to your Vet for a full check over and a weeks worth of antibiotic paste! It is also important to remember that cats can still get a mild form of cat flu if they have been vaccinated.

Next we have to consider a parasitic cause such as lunworm or heartworm, so be sure to check that she is all up to date with her worming medications!

Allergic bronchitis or asthma is also very common in the cat and if anyone in the household smokes then it could be this is causing the onset of asthma in your girl. Do remember that it is not just smoking that causes asthma and if she has had a dry cough then this is a sign she could well have this as the cause. A test by your Vet called a tracheal wash or bronchial wash would definitely help distinguish asthma from infectious bronchitis and parasitic bronchitis.

These are by far and away the most likely causes, however there are other potential causes including a toxicity and heart disease and for this reason it really is important to get her to the Vet for a full physical exam sooner rather than later.

If you have any further questions, please be sure to reply won't you.

Thank you and please now click ACCEPT.

Kind Regards,

Dr M D Edwards
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian - BVSc