Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

the third eye lid of my cats right eye is red, swollen with

Customer Question

the third eye lid of my cats right eye is red, swollen with minimal tearing and 1/2 closed. He is acting normal and dosen't seem to bother him. I'm wondering if this is something I can watch and if not better by monday take to my regular vet (which is closed on saturday)or should I take him to the emergency vet
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 7 years ago.

Hi there,

Does his eye look like this:

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the outer eye isn't red, just the third eye, there is slight swelling around the eye. He has been having rust colored discharge from that eye off and on for a few weeks, but the eye itself wasn't swollen or red untill yesterday. It dosen't seem to bother him, such as I haven't seen him rub or itch at it. It looks alittle like the pic, but reading about conjuctivitis sounds like his eye. Is this something I need to take him to the emergency vet tonight or tomorrow, or can I wait untill Monday and take him to my regular vet?
Expert:  Terri replied 7 years ago.

Dear friend,

I am so sorry your boy is hurt. If the eye is injured and the cornea is scratched he needs to see a vet ASAP or he could lose sight.

However, if it is just an infection or the third eyelid, you can wait.

You may be seeing the third eyelid which appears in times of pain, stress or illness.

It may be an infection:

For the eyes get Terramycin ointment. some pet supplies have it but call first or order from

Apply a damp teabag today for 30 seconds 3 times.

If he develops any colored mucus that means the infection has turned bacterial and will respond to an antibiotic.

Please let me know how he is feeling. If you get worried I will always be here to help further.

I hope he feels better very soon.

Very sincerely,

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
took him to vet, it's Horner's syndrome
Expert:  Terri replied 7 years ago.

Here is info on horners which often resolves on its own:

Good luck with him,