Dr. K
Dr. K, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years experience as Veterinarian
7189224

my cat is dragging her bottom across the rug, Ive always associated

my cat is dragging her bottom across the rug, I've always associated this with worms; but when I clean her litter box I don't see any evidence of worms. Is there any other reason for her to do this?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. K replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomer

Is she licking at her anal area at all?
Is she on a monthly heartworm preventative (like Revolution)?

Dr. K
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no to both questions she is a indoor cat
Expert:  Dr. K replied 7 years ago.
Cats that drag their bottoms on the floor certainly can be suffering from worms. If she is not on a monthly parasite preventative, then worms are definitely a possibility for her. Although indoor kitties are less likely to contract intestinal parasites, many of them do because parasite eggs get into people's homes in potting soil for plants.

Another very common reason for a kitty to drag their bottoms on the floor like this, is a problem with their anal glands. These are sacs that are located just inside the anus at 4 and 8 o-clock. They secrete a fluid that is normally released upon the animal's bowel movement. In some animals, the outflow of these sacs becomes obstructed and they become swollen and uncomfortable. The vet can evaluate if they are too full on a physical examination of your pet, and can manually express them to relieve the pressure. In some cases, if they cannot be expressed, the animal must be sedated and have the openings of the anal sac ducts cannulated and flushed with saline to allow for proper flow outward of the anal fluid. In other cases, the sacs can become infected and result in an abscess that must be opened up to drain through the skin. These cases are also treated with oral and topical antibiotics. Animals that are having inflammation from problems with these glands, will often lick at the area, which can cause a fishy smell to their breath.

Here are a couple of links to some websites that show good pictures of this, and explain it further:

http://www.dr-dan.com/analsac.htm
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_anal_sacs.html

I hope that this information is of help to you, and I wish you the best of luck with your kitty. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Dr. K