DrAmy
DrAmy, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  9 yrs experience vet care general medicine, surgery, oncology, behavior
13556261

Is it safe to use olive leaf extract on cats. What dose do

Customer Question

Is it safe to use olive leaf extract on cats. What dose do you give. My cat has runny nose and discharge she was born with it, it is continuous - vet says it will never get over it. She is 13 years old now but seems to be suffering at the moment and I would like to try to clear her congestion. She has also always suffered from allergies and itchy skin which she scratches too much.
Category: Cat
Expert:  DrAmy replied 7 years ago.
Hello Susie,

Olive leaf extract (olive oil) is safe to give to your cats. Some studies show that it has stong anti-oxidant effects. There is also some evidence that it has anti-viral properties as well.

I you would like to try it the dose would be 1/2 teaspoon per cat per day.   It may not help, but it won't hurt.

Let me know if you need anything else.