Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

My cat is having trouble walking and keeps falling over. He

My cat is having trouble walking and keeps falling over. He walks in circles. He has not gone to the bathroom (alot) since the weekend. He has a good appetite. My vets says the problem may be neurological; he spent a week in the hospital having tests that all came back fine.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 7 years ago.
HelloCustomerbr />
I will be very pleased to try and answer your question but to enable me to do so with accuracy I need to know a little bit more information, so first can you tell me :

1. How old is your cat ?

2. Briefly what tests were carried out?

This is just a information request for which you have not been charged, I am online at present. I will answer your question shortly after receiving your reply.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My cat is 3 years old. he was in the hospital at the end of January for about a week. While there, the doctors performed an echo cardiogram (came back normal), heartworm and parasite tests (came back normal), thyroid test (normal), CBC and gen profile. All came back normal. We initally brought him to the vet because he was having the same problem (not being able to stand or walk without falling over). He still walks in circle and falls over after taking two or three steps.
Thanks for the quick reply.

I have to agree with your vet that after that range of tests coming up as normal then the problem may well be neurological.

This is very unusual in a young cat of three years of age, your next step would be to explore the possible neurological causes of your cat's condition this would logically mean a referral to a neurologist or perhaps a MRI scan.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Can neurological probelms ever be cured? Will Charlie (the cat's name) be able to walk normally again. I am willing to accept him as he is, I just don't want him to be in pain -- and I cannot tell if he is.

Thanks for your help. I will pursue that course.

Hello again.

Some neurological problems can be cured or will improve with time, small strokes for example. Others such as brain tumours are more serious and will be slowly progressive.

I think if he was in serious pain then you as an obviously caring owner would not miss it ...

Good luck,