DrLucy, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Almost 30 yr as a practicing small animal vet.; experience in gen.medicine, surgery, emerg/

My cats vet says blood work is ok. I see Amylase 1516, Lipase

My cat's vet says blood work is ok. I see Amylase 1516, Lipase 221, CPK 1163, and Triglyceride 333.
Do these #'s look ok to you?
Category: Cat
Expert:  DrLucy replied 7 years ago.

It does depend on the laboratory (what a specific lab's normal ranges are), but the question is not whether these values are "normal" but whether they are significant in a cat. The amylase sounds a bit elevated, but usually amylase is not significant in a cat (when you are wondering about pancreatitis). I would probably not think twice about it unless it were more than double the high end of normal for your laboratory AND if there were signs sugggestive of pancreatitis. Without signs suggestive of pancreatitis, I would ignore it. Lipase is normal. It is rarely significant in cats, anyway. CPK, although elevated, is very frequently elevated in a cat who is nervous. It is one of those values that we generally ignore, because most cats are nervous in a vet hospital. It is not a very good indicator of muscle problems--there are far more useful tests. Triglycerides depend on a number of things--mostly whether the sample was fasting or not. If the sample was fasting, then the significance of this slight elevation again depends on what the clinical signs are. Sometimes persistently elevated triglycerides can mean that your cat might be close to being diabetic, but this is controversial in internal medicine circles. The key word here is "persistently." If they are persistently elevated (probably over 500 or 600) in fasting samples, then you might consider pursuing whether they are significant.

Anyway, a lot hinges on why the blood tests were run in the first place. If these tests were run, say, as preanesthetic blood work prior to elective surgery or dentistry, I would agree that they are "OK." If your cat is significantly overweight, has borderline high blood sugar, and vomits a lot, I would consider having an abdominal ultrasound to check his/her abdominal organs (particularly the pancreas) and follow the blood work every few months (with a fasting sample).

If you want to tell me a bit more about why the blood tests were run, I might be able to be of more help. Again, most blood tests have to be interpreted in light of the patient, and not in a vacuum. Does that make sense?

Expert:  DrLucy replied 7 years ago.
When I answered, I didn't see the last few lines of your post, about the coat color turning white. Cats almost never have hypothyroidism, although hyperthyroidism is quite common in elderly cats (7 would be awfully young). The thyroid test results would probably be listed as T4 and/or FT4. Did you see anything that sounded like that.
Expert:  DrLucy replied 7 years ago.

Some more information about color changes in cats. There are a few inflammatory skin conditions that can cause that, or a high fever, or hyperthyroidism, but by far most of them are just idiopathic--i.e. nobody knows why. There is a condition in cats called vitiligo (like people), where both the skin and the hair loses pigment. Nobody knows why, though. When just the hair loses pigment, it is called leukotrichia. When the hair turns white in a patch, it could be in an area where a vaccine was injected. Any place the hair follicles are damaged can turn white. It would be rare for a neutritional deficiency to be bad enough in a cat to cause graying hair. The chances are that, for him, it is probably "normal."

Let me know if you have any questions.