Christian K.
Christian K., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  12 year of veterinary experience in feline surgery, medicine and behavior

my cat has an open sore near his testicles. it is about the

my cat has an open sore near his testicles. it is about the with of a pen cap. didnt notice it yesterday co it may have occured some point today. he is acting like his normal self but i am worried. what should i do?

Hello Amanda,

This is Dr. Christian. Is there any bleeding or discharge? Any redness around the wound or swelling? Is he an outdoor cat? Can you tell how deep the wound is?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
clear discharge, yes there is redness. no he is not an outdoor cat. the wound is about a centimeter deep.
Are there are other cats in the house or something else that could have bit him?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes, we have two others. a kitten who is about 6 months old and another who is about 2yrs.

There are a couple of possibilities based on what you are describing.

1. Abscessed anal gland- these glands are next to the rectum at the 4 and 8 oclock positions so you can judge if this is the spot where this hole is. The anal gland producing secretions normally and sometimes becomes impacted and then infected. When that happens it can rupture and start to drain.
  2. Bite wound abscess- If one of the other cats bit him it could have abscessed and now is draining.

Warm water is all that is necessary to keep this clean. You can apply neosporin to the area but that will not help any infection deep under the skin. I would recommend taking him in to your vet in the morning to be seen. He'll probably need oral antibiotics in order to get this to heal, especially at his age. If you have more questions please let me know.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thank you so much for your help. a weight has been lifted.

You are welcome. Good luck.