catDR
catDR, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine
12131827

My cat is limping and will not put weight on her front paw.

My cat is limping and will not put weight on her front paw. She just holds her paw up and lets it hang limply while both moving and sitting. I couldn't feel any swelling or bumps on her arm. Her behavior seems very normal. I checked her paw and didn't see any objects, cuts, bleeding, etc.
Category: Cat
Expert:  catDR replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for writing in,

is she an indoor only cat?

Can you move her leg, bend her joints etc? How does she react?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes-she stays indoors, and is very active. She seems to have full mobility with no reaction. She did run away when we first came near (normal for her-she's skidish), and was able to move quickly on all 4's. Then she went right back to holding her paw in the air and hoping,

Sounds odd, but it seiously seems like she has 3 legs with the way she hops.

Expert:  catDR replied 5 years ago.
Ok, thanks for that added info. Well It's good to hear that she isn't painful on palpation of her leg, but why the limping?? It would definitely be a good idea to have her checked out by your vet. Sometimes spinal column disease, if it compressing the spinal cord in a certain way, will cause only limping. This is because the nerves leave the spinal cord and go down the leg, if there is a pinch, it is painful to use this leg. This is very common when dogs and cats present for limping and there is no obvious pain noted on manipulation of the leg. Until you can get to a vet I would suggest that you keep her very quiet and confined. your vet will do a full orthopedic and neuro exam to determine where the problem is and go from there with diagnostics and treatment. I hope this helps and I hope she is back to normal soon!
catDR, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: Doctor of Veterinary Medicine