Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years

What can i give my cat for pain that is over the counter and

What can i give my cat for pain that is over the counter and inexpensive?
Hi Steffie,
Unfortunately, nothing really. Cats have peculiar metabolisms and react to drugs very differently from dogs and people. Tylenol is sheer poison to them, and other over the counter things like Advil and Alleve are almost as bad. The only over the counter human pain med that is safe in cats is baby aspirin. A cat takes 3 to 4 days (yes, days) to metabolize a dose of aspirin, so the dosage is 1/2 baby aspirin twice a week. Unfortunately, at this dose, it is not a very good pain medication, but you can give it a try. Until recently, we really did not have good pain medication for cats. Mostly we used steroids, which work well but are not available OTC. There is a great new prescription medication that works well in cats, called Metacam, and one bottle can last a month or more, but you will need to get it from a veterinarian, or online with a prescription. Hope this helps, Rebecca