Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

I need to put my cat to a drowsy or sleep like state so that

I need to put my cat to a drowsy or sleep like state so that i may groom her. She is very violent if i try other wise. Could you please tell me what would do this. Would a very small ammount of childrens benedryl work?

I would use something like Acepromazine to sedate a cat for grooming, but this is something you would need to get from your vet. Childrens Benadryl may get you enough sedation to groom her and is worth a shot before getting something stronger. You can start the dosing at 1 mg/lb, but can go as high as 2 mg/lb safely. I'd give it a good hour to kick in before trying to mess with her so she doesn't over ride the sedative effects.

Hope this helps, and be careful.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My cat has been meowing for days now. She is relentless and paces the house. I have checked her food and water and all are well there. I have tried to comfort her and pet her. This only calms for a short period of time. Before long she calmly leaves me and goes about paceing and meowing. I have no clue to what is going on. I have touched her joints head and abdominal region to see if she reacts in pain but nothing. She plays for a bit even. Then goes about paceing and meowing. This all started two days ago and has been rather non stop. Could please help me.
Is she spayed yet?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No i was supposed to spayed her right after adoption but she was sick with some bacterial strain. So they said to bring her back in a month and the would do it for free still. This was good for me because i am on disability. But she did not get better for two months and my window for the free procedure elapsed. So i have been saveing money to get a operation for her but it will take a great deal of time. I adopted her in Nov and she was 3 months old.

Well there's your problem right there! It sounds like she's probably in heat. Cats in heat are absolutely annoying. They will wander, meow constantly and often flag their tail to the side or roll and act erratic. Cats are strange creatures as they only ovulate when bred so they can stay in heat for quite some time. Unlike dogs, cats are safe to spay while in heat. I would schedule the procedure as soon as possible to make her stop acting like this.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your help. I will see if i can find the money somewhere. Do you generally know how much the procedure cost?
it's usually around 150 give or take 30-50. This includes the procedure, anesthesia, pain management and hospitalization. Not too bad.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you again hope you have a nice night. I will get started on this right away. Thank you again. :)