Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

recently got my cat spayed. Her incision looks reddish and

recently got my cat spayed. Her incision looks reddish and you can actually see some of the wound open. I took her to the vet and he said it looked a little infected, but she should be okay. He put her on amoxicillin, 1ml twice a day till gone. This is the 3rd day, and she still looks the same. She's not eating as much, sleeps more than usual and looks somewhat depressed. Should I worry and take her back to the vet, or should I wait alittle more and see if the meds kick in. Should I clean her wound with anything, or leave it alone?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the questionCustomer

While I cannot diagnose this over the internet I can tell you that I have spayed a great many cats in my life and often given clients the advice and treatment your vet has given you, in almost all cases the cats were fine and the wound pulled together well.

1. The spay operation is a full hysterectomy so it would not be unusual for cats to be quiet for a few days following surgery.

2. The external incision is just the skin incision, there will most likely be layers of sutures in the muscle and sub-cutaneous layers so the would is unlikely to breakdown completely.

3. You would do no harm by gently washing the wound with warm salt water twice a day.

4. If the wound opens further of you see anything protruding from the wound you should have your vet check things over just to be on the safe side.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS