Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

My cat cant move his back legs and is crying a lot. Just happened

My cat can't move his back legs and is crying a lot. Just happened today. No previous symptoms
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.

It's possible that your cat has feline cardiomyopathy, a cardiac condition which can cause a blood clot (saddle thrombus) to lodge in the main artery supplying blood to the hind legs. This causes paralysis and is very painful.

http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/hyp-cardio.html

Your cat needs to be evaluated by an ER vet center, now, for diagnosis and treatment, if your regular vet is closed.

I hope all will be well once he's treated!

Cher
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is there any treatment once the blood stops going to the legs where they'll be able to walk again?
Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.
Hello again,Customer

Yes, treatment can be done with medication to help dissolve the clot and restore circulation to the hind legs, but each cat's case is different, and so are the outcomes. You'll know more, once you bring your cat to the vet for evaluation and a definite diagnosis, after hands on exam and tests.

Cher
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My vet was out and a different one examined him yesterday and basically said there would be no help for the legs even if the clot broke up and he would not be able to deficate in the future because of the paralysis and a host of other problems. Can I just dose aspirin for him tonight to try to move this along until I can get a script tomorrow? I appreciate your help.
Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.
Hi again, and thanks for your additional information. You hadn't mentioned you brought him to the vet, yesterday.

Did the vet diagnose him with cardiomyopathy and a saddle thrombus?

Did the vet do anything to alleviate his pain or condition?

You can give aspirin, just for tonight--1/4 of an 81 mg. coated aspirin, but read about dosage and precautions, here:

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/acetylsalicylic-acid-aspirin/page1.aspx

Cher
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes they said that was what it was. They gave me pain medication.
Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.

If they gave you pain medication, don't mix it with the aspirin. This would be dangerous, unless the vet tells you it's safe to do it.

Cher
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It's been 12 hours since last dose..still unsafe?Buprenorphine HCI .15ml each dose.
Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.

Buprenorphine is also an NSAID (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory) so it should not be given with aspirin, as there could be an adverse interaction.

Cher
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.
You're most welcome.

I hope once you see your regular vet, tom'w, the news will be more optimistic.

Cher