Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

cat: week drooling..bowel..less energetic and I want to kow

My 20 week old male cat is drooling slightly and had a soft stool during his last couple of bowel moventments. He seems less energetic and I want to kow if i sould be worried.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the questionCustomer

At twenty weeks of age it is possible that your kitten is teething and slight drooling and lethargy can go hand in hand with this. Cats do have baby teeth, this first set is called the milk teeth or deciduous teeth and they start to come in when the kitten is about four weeks of age, usually by six weeks all the baby teeth have come through. These teeth are non-permanent and they begin to fall out over a period from around twelve weeks of age through to about twenty five weeks of age by which time all the adult teeth will have come through. This is a time which is similar to teething in human babies, so the kitten may have a sore mouth, feel off colour and drool. There is no real treatment for this.

There are of course other possible diagnosis such as ulcers in the mouth from viral disease, poisonings, foreign objects stuck in the mouth etc. As far as the loose bowel movements go this is common in kittens and may well resolve without any treatment.

Of course if your cat's conditions do not resolve or if they get suddenly worse you should seek veterinary advice.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS