NancyH
NancyH, Cat Health, Behavior, Care Expert
Experience:  30+ years cat owner, rescue, breeding, study of behavior & health care
127115

Why is my cat (female, spayed) peeing on my purse?

Category: Cat
Expert:  NancyH replied 7 years ago.

It may be she is spraying on it because of the new scents it brings into the house after you have been outside the home with the purse.

It is also possible its due to the material the purse is made from. Sometimes a natural leather or fur attracts a cat to the item but also some plastics have an odor that attracts them too.

At this point it may be that she is spraying because she smells her scent on the area.

I would suggest fixing a spot where you can hang your purse out of reach to see if that resolves the problem. Maybe a new hook near the door will work for you.

You may want to try cleaning the purse with an enzyme based cleaner such as Nature's Miracle to totally remove any urine spray odor from it. Then you can try the Feliway spray right on the purse to make her not want to spray it.

Hope this helps you!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
She sprays on every purse i own. I actually just washed the last one she sprayed on a few days ago, it was made of cotton. this one is made of cotton and faux leather. shes also peed on the chair i sometimes leave the purse on, my boyfriends backpack, the kitchen table cloth, portable fabric grocery bags, and her bed. We brought a new cat into the house over 8 months ago, (male spayed, about 1 year old now) and she has yet to get fully used to him, could he have something to do with her behavior? she never sprayed until we got him. if so, what do i do about that? she also has issues with our dog (who has learned to keep her distance.) i had a cat growing up who did the same thing, we found out she had kidney problems. i'm just wondering if putting my purse up will really help since she always finds something else to spray on.
Expert:  NancyH replied 7 years ago.

As you didn't mention that there was no way to know.

I think it sounds like she is marking over 'new' scents and this may have been triggered by the new cat coming in and adding 'strange' smells to the house.

I certainly think having a good vet check up may be an excellent choice to make sure this is not a sign of an underlying health issue.

While you are there you might ask your vet about using some Prozac if she checks out healthy. Prozac may reduce her stress so that she doesn't have that need to mark. The stress being the new cat, changes, the dog, new smells etc.

Prozac has had excellent success in resolving spraying issues in cats who don't respond to Feliway.

This is mentioned here along with lots of other helpful info on spraying and litter box issues

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Pointe/9352/litterboxhelp.html

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Sorry i didn't mention the other issues, i wasn't quite sure how this website works. thank you for the advice and the article, i will make sure to ask about prozac when i take her to the vet later this week.
Expert:  NancyH replied 7 years ago.

Not a problem - it just was a surprise to me is all! It is really hard for people to get everything in they mean in a couple of lines of question and I'm glad you came back to ask more.

I hope the info help you out and thanks for the above accept!