Theresa, A Voice for your Pet
Experience:  19+ years in animal medicine as a veterinary technician

Is death due to kidney failure a painful death

Is death due to kidney failure a painful death?
If he is still eaten then you still have a few days before you need to make a decision and he still has time to improve even. I would try to give him some fluids if you can this weekend to help hydrate him and flush his kidney's a bit. Try offering him some egg, boiled chicken, pasta, chicken broth to drink or other canned cat food.

Kidney disease isn't painful but it is a uncomfortable condition to pass with because it causes dehydration, nausea, vomiting, decreased appetite, and a build up of toxins in the blood stream which can lead to neurological issues, lethargy, and anemia and this is a short list.

It isn't a condition where I would want them to pass on their own with but since he is still eating I don't think it is time to consider euthanasia either. If he is still passing urine equal to the amount of liquid he is taking in then his kidney's haven't shut down yet.

Please let me know if further assistance is needed.