Lori
Lori, Feline Healthcare
Experience:  16 yrs health care mgmt & issues relating to cats, reproductive issues and multicat environments
260309

My cat has had watery diarrhea for 2.5 weeks. He started getting

Customer Question

My cat has had watery diarrhea for 2.5 weeks. He started getting sick after his first deworming shot. Hes 9 months old. Hes been checked for FIV and leukemia and has neither. The vet says he's fine. Temperature is fine, weight fine, organs by physical exam are fine. He's been defecating outside the litter box and has continued to have watery diarrhea. I did change his food last week.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Lori replied 8 years ago.

Hello--

I'm betting your kitten is suffering from a single celled parasite that causes diarrhea. In all likelihood, it's giardia, coccidia or camphyobactor. Call your vet and ask if they can try your boy on Metronizadole (flagyl) for 2 weeks (3 is even better, but if his stool firms up after a week, then tell the vet you want to continue for a full 21 days of treatment to make sure the problem is completely gone). Many times, these parasites do not show up in routine stool samples, and just trying the treatment for them is the easiest and most effective way to eliminate the problem. Once his tummy feels better, I'm 99% certain he will start going back in the box for you. You can try a litter called Cat Attract Cat Litter, but it won't be much help as long as he is hurting.

Please let me know how things progress with your boy. Note that he may drool excessively and even foam at the the mouth with this medication, but make sure you stay the course and get it in him at all costs. The further back in his mouth the better so he tastes it less. Don't try putting it in his food as he won't eat.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you! I cant take him in until tomorrow. Will it be to late? Also do you know how much it costs? I would also like to let you know how he's doing but I'm new to this site. How will I be able to get in contact with you?
Expert:  Lori replied 8 years ago.
Hi. Flagyl is an inexpensive medication. Waiting until tomorrow is fine!. You can either respond to this or you can click on my name and contact me via my profile. I am sending this as a request for additional information. Once you have some info from your vet, then you can respond. Thank you for accepting!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hello Lori!
I went to the (new) vet Friday and got Abe two medications. One is the Flagyl and the other is a homiopathic diarrhea medication. They gave him a fluid injection and some pain medication because he was sore. Also they did a urinalysis and they want me to bring in some fecal matter for a giardia test. I collected some this morning and there appears to be blood in it. Is this something we need to treat separatly?

I knew there was something wrong with him even if the first vet repeatedly told me there wasn't! Thank you for all your help!
Expert:  Lori replied 8 years ago.
Hurrah! I'm so glad they found SOMETHING! Don't be disappointed if the giardia test shows negative. It only shows positive about 40% of the time,even if a cat has the parasite. The flagyl will take care of it. Blood in the stool is common with giardia and coccidia, so you are on the right track with the flagyl. I'm certain he probably hates it and drools and even foams at the mouth when he takes it. Be persistent and keep him on it. Also, if the stool firms up (and it should if the problem is giardia or coccidia), ask the vet to keep him on the medication for a full 2 weeks - 3 is even better, just to make certain the problem won't recur. I've seen it a million times where the stool appears better, the owner stops the meds, and the diarrhea is back in just a couple of weeks. Keeping him on it long enough is the key! I'm so glad you have something to work with now.