Dr. R. - The Pet Vet
Dr. R. - The Pet Vet, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been in practice for 30 years solving my clients' pets medical and surgical problems
13877648

My 16 year old cat is not eating and is getting quit thin.

My 16 year old cat is not eating and is getting quit thin. I took her to the vet where they did an exam, CBC/Superchem blood test, injected fluids and gave her an antibiotic. She has returned for the next two days for more injected fluids and antibiotics plus 15MG of mirtazapine. She is eating a little more but is not back to normal. Do you think this is just an indication of old age and as long as she is not uncomfortable I can just let her be. I do not want to put her through extensive tests. Thank you for your opinion.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. R. - The Pet Vet replied 5 years ago.
I would like to help you but need some more information...
What were the results of the lab testing?
Was a thyroid test done?
I she having any vomiting/diarrhea?
Dr.R

I apologize...I will be off-line for several hours and will contact you later.If you need immediate assistance,resubmit your question and another expert will help you.
Dr.R
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did not get a copy of the blood test but they did share the information with me. The blood test checked about 6 areas including for thyroid problems and diabetes but both of those were negative. They also ruled out cancer. What was noted was a high white blood cell count and one other area that was "36" when the norm is about "34" that made the doctor think there was the possibility of an infection thus they are giving her a daily 1/2 ml of enrofloxacin. They also said she was dehydrated. I should add that she is an indoor cat who has never been outside in her life and there are no other animals in the house with her which made the doctor wonder where she would get an infection from.
Thanks for the information...
It is difficult for me to address the specific causes for your cat's problems without knowing specific lab values,but I am glad that neither thyroid problems or diabetes were the problem.These are certainly two important causes of problems in older cats but usually have increased appetite and weight loss as the primary issues.Having said that my concerns would then be related to age-related kidney,liver,or cardiac issues for eating less and weight loss. Another problem is that there are no specific lab tests for GI problems,and that could be another cause of her signs.They elected to provide fluid replacement,antibiotics,and an appetite stimulant as supportive treatment,and you said she seems a bit better and I am glad for that.
The best advice I could give for now would be to continue the treatment/medications provided and recheck her CBC and lab profile in the next week to see if anything changed.Then you would have an idea if things are improving or if X-rays and/or a cardiac ultrasound exam might be indicated (both non-painful tests),if you so choose.It may be that supportive care (try a meat-based baby food to see if that might be more appealing to her) is the appropriate way to continue treatment.If it is indeed age-related issues continuing to keep her comfortable and letting her know you are there for her is the best treatment.
I hope you have found this information to be helpful.
Good Luck!
Dr.R
Dr. R. - The Pet Vet, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: I have been in practice for 30 years solving my clients' pets medical and surgical problems