Dr.Fiona
Dr.Fiona, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years experience as a companion animal veterinarian in British Columbia, California and Ontario
7995545

My cat cant poop and when she tries, small drops of watery

My cat can't poop and when she tries, small drops of watery blood comes out - what is wrong with her?
Hi thereCustomer

Welcome to Just Answer! I would like to help you and your cat, but need a bit more information in order to better assist you.

When did this start?

Any vomiting?

Fiona
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Actually she just had a bowel movement in her litter box but it seems that she can't pee - just drops of bloody water. She isn't drinking but is eating and acts normal.
Ah... Ok! Was the stool normal?

How old is she?

Is she crying when she tries to urinate?

What kind of food does she eat (canned, dry, a mixture, and brands)?

Are you 100% sure she is female?

Fiona
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I don't know if I sent this right so am sending it again. She is definitely a female and eats dry cat food. The stool was normal. When she tries to urinate she sits for an unusually long time and only a watery bloody spot will come out. She is trying to urinate in places besides her litter box. This afternoon she tried and there was more than just a spot - more watery and looked more like urine. She is acting completely normal although I don't know if she is drinking anything.
Oh, poor girl!

I just got your reply, so if you sent it earlier as well, my apologies for not responding - I did not get it.

I need about 10 minutes to write up a detailed answer for you and then will be right back!
Hi again,

There are a number of different things that could be causing your cat to be only passing a few drops of watery bloody fluid when urinating. From what you are describing, it sounds as though she has blood in her urine, and a pain that makes her need to void even though there is very little in her bladder.

The things that I would be considering if your cat were on her way in to see me are:

1.     Urinary Tract Infection.

This is by far the most likely thing. UTI's in female cats are fairly common. The urethra (the tube between the bladder and the outside) is short and wide in female animals which allows bacteria an easy route to climb up into the bladder and cause infection. Very young animals or senior animals are slightly more prone because their immune systems are not as strong as an cat in her prime. If this is what she has, a course of antibiotics should clear the problem up.

Here is more:
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=2457

2.     Your cat could have interstitial cystitis.

This is an inflammatory condition of the bladder that causes pain on urination, frequent urination, and often bloody urine. With this, the urine is usually bloody and the cat usually cries when she is urinating. It is often triggered by stress.

Here is more: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=651&S=0&EVetID=0

3.     Your cat may have crystals in her urine.

The two main types of crystals that form in cats' urine are struvite crystals (about 95% are these) and calcium oxalate (about 4% are these). Struvite forms in urine that is too alkaline (not acidic enough) and calcium oxalate forms in urine that is too acidic. In order to determine what type of crystals may be in a urine sample, a vet would have to look at the urine under a microscope.   

So, in summary, your kitten may well have a urinary tract infection. This can usually be cleared up quickly with a course of antibiotics.

Until you can get her to a vet, the most helpful thing you can do is to encourage her to drink as much as possible! Cats who have had urinary problems are often moved to a 100% wet (canned) food diet as this contains much more water and is helpful to prevent future problems.

I have some suggestions for encouraging her to drink:

I suggest opening a can of tuna *in water* and offering her the liquid, added to water.

Also, you can pick up Clam Juice in most grocery stores (sold in with the V8 or with the canned tuna in my grocery store) and mix that with some water.

You could try Lactose Free milk (Lactaid is the Canadian brand).

Offer her some canned cat food, and mix it with water to make a soup if she won't eat it.

Things you can do to encourage a cat to drink are:

- offer water from a very wide flat bowl as cats don't like their whiskers to touch the edges when they drink (which is why lots of cats like the toilet bowl).

- If she likes dripping water, leave a tap dripping for her.

- Offer bottled water and see if she prefers it.

- Offer chicken broth, diluted 50:50.

- See if she likes water with an ice cube in it.

- See if she likes it out of a cup or martini glass.

- Offer Whiskas Kitty Milk

- Offer her canned food as the first ingredient in water

- You could try getting some human baby food in meat flavours (check that there are no onions or garlic in the ingredients) and mix that with warm water and offer that, or syringe it in little bits into your cat's mouth. It has a high water content. Beech Nut makes a line of baby food that has nothing but meat (beef, chicken, turkey or veal) in it.

Here's a link:
http://www.beechnut.com/Our%20Baby%20Food/Results.asp

If you cannot find this, you could find another meat baby food - just read the label carefully to be sure there are no onions, onion powder, garlic, or garlic powder in it.

Try to get her to drink small amounts frequently. If you can, try syringe 1-2 teaspoons (5-10 mLs) or liquids per half hour into her mouth.

I do think she is going to need to see a vet, but hopefully you can help her by encouraging her to drink until you can get to a vet!

I hope that this helps you to help her!

If this has been helpful, please "Accept" my answer and leave feedback.

If you need more information, just click on reply and I will still be here to provide it!

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would strongly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.

Fiona