Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience

Are there any over the counter pain medicines safe for cat

Are there any over the counter pain medicines safe for cats?

hi ginastyl,

is there any inflamation around the site ?

is there any concurrent infection/pus discharge?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No discharge at all. There doesnt appear to be any inflimation although his paws are still swollen. His paws are dark by nature (tonkenesse seal point) so redness is hard to see. However when I feel for slight heat around his paws which may be due to inflamation, his feet dont feel warm to the touch or anything. (I have worked with animals before and sometimes I can feel their body generate more heat if somthing is infected or inflamed although I know that is not the end all test)

hi gina ,

i suggest you put the pet on a steroid, like medrol 2mg twice a day for 5 days however a list of other drugs like meloxicam/caprofen

hydromorphone 0.5 mg /kg body weight

butarphanol 1 mg kg body weight but these require prescription by a vet

can be used to alleivate pain

thanks and regards

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

So are you saying that there is no over the counter medicine I can give him until tomorrow? Just to aleviate the pain? I just want to make sure that I understand you with 100% accuracy

Hello Gina,

I'm sorry you weren't able to get an answer to your initial question, more quickly.

Unfortunately, there are no over the counter pain relievers which are safe to give to cats. Aspirin, Tylenol, Aleve, etc., are all toxic to cats; however, aspirin is given for specific medical conditions (like heart problems) only under strict supervision and direction from the vet.

I'm so sorry your cat seems to be in pain, and usually the vet will send a cat home with antibiotics and a pain reliever, right after the surgery. Put a call in to your vet to ask if a pain reliever may be called in to your pharmacy, or if you can pick one up from the office, once they're open again, on Monday.

It's possible that your cat is favoring his paws because they're sensitive and also, he's not used to not having his claws. He might continue to favor one paw or the other and hold them up, for a while, until he's completely healed and used to the feeling of his paws minus the claws. If he's refusing to walk at all, I definitely recommend a re-check by the vet, in person, when they open on Monday, to make sure nothing more serious is going on.

I hope your furry boy is feeling much more comfortable, very soon!

Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience: Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you so much for your help. He is going to the vet monday morning. First thing. He doesnt walk very much but he is lazy as it is so that is no big indicator. Thank you so much for you help.
Hello again,Customer and you're most welcome; thanks very much for your reply and your accept.

I'm glad you'll be bringing him to the vet, tom'w, and please let me know if I can be of further help at any time. You can request me by typing 'For Cher' at the beginning of your question.

I hope he heals quickly, and will begin walking normally again, soon. Sometimes it takes a little while, and don't be surprised if he sits with one paw up, every now and then.