Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

My cat, Tinkerbelle, is being given iodine drops in her food.

Customer Question

My cat, Tinkerbelle, is being given iodine drops in her food. She has been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. She seems hungry several times throughout the day and meows alot. Should she see a vet for further assistance? She is a senior cat. Not sure what the future prognosis is for her. Want to do right by our loving family pet. Thanks a million!
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 7 years ago.

Good Evening,

Sorry to hear your cat was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. I've never heard of the iodine in the water thing to treat, nor would I recommend it. The Iodine treatment is radioactive iodine- so it goes to the thyroid and destroys the gland. Giving iodine in the water I don't imagine would do much as far as managing the disease.

Treatment options:

1. Radioactive iodine- not going to be done here

2. Surgical removal of the thyroid glands- also probably not an option here

3. Methimazole (Tapazole) oral or topical treatment- this would be something to look into as it's fairly inexpensive and works well. I would make sure that the kidneys are functioning well before starting this therapy as if there is an underlying kidney disease it will make it much worse.

4. No treatment- this is essentially what is being done right now and not a bad option. Many people will have hyperthyroid cats that go untreated. They still do well, although you will expect a slightly decreased life span and you'll have to live with the hyperthyroid signs- hyperactive, weight loss, voracious appetite, unkempt hair coat.

Well that's hyperthyroidism and all possible treatment options. I'm not sure where they got the idea about iodine in the water but I've never heard of it. Can't hurt I suppose, but probably not doing much other than changing the color/ taste of the water.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Dr. Gary:

Thank you for your timely response. The iodine drops were to be given with the wet food, not water. I read over what I typed, and realized that maybe you didn't see that I was administering the drops with the food.

At the last vet visit, Tinkerbelle's kidneys were funtioning properly. She is a very sweet, affectionate cat. I realize this might be something we have to live with, but am only thinking of how to make her life comfortable.

Thanks so much for doing the work you do! You are truly making a difference!

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 7 years ago.
you're very welcome, I wish Tinkerbelle a long healthy life. Sounds like she's doing well and otherwise unaffected by the hyperthyroidism thus far.