Lynn, Veterinary Assistant
Experience:  worked at a vet clinic for 18 yrs, BA in biology, experience with cats for 20+ years

My cats ears are warm/hot to the touch. Should I be concerned

He is 1 1/2 yrs old and has been diagnosed with FIP. He is currently on 2.5 mg Buspirone daily, and 5 mg Ovaban once every 3 days.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Lynn replied 7 years ago.
How is your kitty's appetite?

Is he lethargic at all?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

His appetite is great - actually, he is eating quite a bit!

His bathroom habits are fine - regular with no issues.

He is a bit lethargic - he won't play with toys, new or old, but that has been for a few months now. I should tell you that my sister moved in with me back in July with her 3 cats and that's when the play habits changed. He was marking EVERYWHERE and often, that is why he is on the meds.

Back to being lethargic though... yes, he is. He also has taken to sleeping under my bed vs on top with me, and now he occasionally will go under the couch or ottoman - not his normal behavior. He's been doing this on and off for the past 2 weeks.

I believe I also noted to you that his is FIP positive.

Expert:  Lynn replied 7 years ago.

Cats have a higher normal body temperature than us, so it is normal for their ears to feel warm to the touch.   Behavior is a much better indication of whether or not a pet is ill. Appetite and activity being the most important.   Because you've noticed a change in his behavior lately I would recommend taking him in for a check up the beginning of the week. Lethargy can be an early sign of FIP.   He could also have some type of secondary problem (such as a bacterial infection) going on that could possibly be treated. Here is a link to a page with more information on FIP if you are interested:

If you have further questions let me know by clicking reply. If this answers your question please click accept. Thank you.