Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience

What causes black discharge from cats eyes

What causes black discharge from cat's eyes?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.

The dark, sticky discharge from his eyes may be indicative of an eye infection, injury, allergies, blocked tear ducts, entropian (where lashes grow into the eye) or 'dry eye'. Medicated feline eye drops would probably help things. If you wanted to flush his eyes with non-medicated saline solution (NEVER Visine or the like), it should improve the situation, temporarily. Once or twice a day, simply flush his eyes out with the saline solution. This will help to moisten his eyes and flush out any debris that may be causing irritation. If you see no improvement, talk to your veterinarian about some medicated eye drops.

It would be a good idea to have your cat evaluated by a vet, ASAP, in any case, as older cats are more prone to develop specific serious health conditions. Since you've noticed weight loss, lethargy, decreased appetite, in addition to the ocular discharge, this could indicate diabetes, hyperthyroidism, liver issues, kidney failure or other medical problems.

A routine senior blood test would provide more information for the vet to make a diagnosis and then your cat will be treated for the condition found.

I hope all will be well.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thanks. I've made an appt. for early in the morning, first available. Hopefully it is something easily corrected but I know so little about the little guy. He's just been so happy and good since I adopted him. I'll let you know what I find out tomorrow. I did some searches and saw that it's all over the board but thought someone else might have seen this so I don't worry so much between now and in the morning. Wish us luck!

Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.
Hello again, and you're most welcome.

I'm so glad to hear you've already made an appointment for him to be seen, tom'w. Yes, please do keep me updated, and I hope your furry boy will be just fine!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Poor little guy's liver failed. He was too old, according to the vet, to do all the tests and do anything but make him miserable. I felt it best to end his suffering as he wasn't doing too well and not eating. Thanks for your help. I figured it wasn't going to be something easily fixed but at least he had a couple of good years off the streets with me and was a good and happy boy.

Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.
Hi again, and you're most welcome; thanks for your reply and your accept.

I'm so sorry to hear this sad news about your cat, and extend my heartfelt condolences. You absolutely made the right decision, out of love for him, and now he's at peace. You also did make his last years the happiest, by giving him a loving, caring home, and he knew that.

I hope this poem, below, will help ease your grief in some small way:

Again, my sincerest condolences.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Took him to vet, he pointed out immediately that he looked yellow. Blood test proved that his liver was failing. He's at peace now.

Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.
Hi again, and thanks for your reply. I hope the site I included, helped to ease your sadness, somewhat.

Cher (I'm sending this as a 'request for information', only so you're not prompted to click 'accept' an additional time, but no reply is needed)
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you again.
Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.
You're most welcome; it was my pleasure.