Reani
Reani, Cat Care Expert
Experience:  20+ years experience with Cat Care and behavior problems, 3 years Pet Rescue

My cats anus is distended and open. It looks like she might

Customer Question

My cat's anus is distended and open. It looks like she might be constipated??   Although she had diarreah yesterday. What can I do for her?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Reani replied 5 years ago.
Hello there,
How old is your girl?
Is she eating and drinking okay?
Acting normal?
Any blood in the stools yesterday?

Standing by to help...
Reani
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
She is 3 years old and no, she is not acting right. She is really skitish, walking with her back arched, no blood that I have seen but you can she poop in her opening, which is very large and red now. She looks like she needs to go, but hasn't.
Expert:  Reani replied 5 years ago.
Hi There,

It could be either a rectal or anal prolapse, one of which is worse than the other. If you notice it after a movement but it returns to normal, or your cat has worms which can irritate her, then it could be a less serious Anal Prolapse. If it is more pronounced and seems to be protruding up to a few inches, or does not return to normal throughout the day, your baby may be in some trouble with a rectal prolapse.

Here is a link to help you determine which it is. If you are unsure a trip to the vet is highly recommended in order to be safe. You'd know it if it was the rectal prolapse as it would look like her intestine is coming out.

Since this is likely due to constipation, there are a few things you can try, but since she seems to be pretty uncomfortable, I would try to have her seen tonight if you have the means. If you want to try a home remedy and she is eating, try some mineral oil in her food to help lubricate and hopefully help her pass it.

I wish I was there to see her but I am not so I do highly suggest having her seen tonight, especially if she starts crying, hiding, hissing or stops eating or becomes lethargic. Since she is skittish, that tells me she is pretty uncomfortable.
Please let me know how this goes, I'll be thinking of you both!

Warmest Wishes,
Reani

Warmest Wishes,
Reani