NancyH, Cat Health, Behavior, Care Expert
Experience:  30+ years cat owner, rescue, breeding, study of behavior & health care

My cat was shot by a bb gun 14 months ago, the bb is making

My cat was shot by a bb gun 14 months ago, the bb is making it way to the surface and causing it to fester under the skin, what should I do?

You can use warm/hot damp compress on the area to help it open and drain. This will also stimulate blood circulation to help fight infection. It should draw the infection to a head and may help the BB pop out as the sore opens to drain.

If the sore does open and the BB comes out you can clean the area with betadine iodine solution, chlorhexiderm solution, sterile saline, or 3% hydrogen peroxide.

You can then apply neosporin or triple antibiotic ointment to wound and any scabbed over areas to help fight infection.

Best option would of course be to see the vet to get the BB out and get any needed meds to fight infection but if you cannot do that then hot compresses several times a day may help the cat fight the infection.

Hope this helps you!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Would it be alright to wait a day or two to go to the vets?

If you wait then I'd do the home care to help limit how much the infection might spread.

If the cat is eating and drinking OK and not seeming overly ill then you may be able to wait.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am going to take him tomorrow. It appears as thought he bb has popped out.
Great - you can clean up the area and the vet may do it more and may well give you antibiotics to help him heal up!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I will. I am just afraid. I had a nine month old kitten that I had to put to sleep two weeks ago because of FIP. Plague is still eating; drinking; and behaving very normal, except he is staying inside more, when is prefers to be outside all of the time. I think he may be staying in due to the cold weather we are experiencing right now.

Plus if he is not feeling well from the infection staying in where its warm will feel better to him than being out in the cold.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your help. I will keep him warm and as comfortable as I can. He has a very healthly appetite and has eaten several times day.
I hope all goes well with him. If you found an answer helpful you can accept it and thanks!