Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 yrs as small animal vet; 20+ yrs in animal care; cat owner for 30+ yrs
10137360

does a male cat that has been fixed still mate

Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 5 years ago.
They can go through the motions, although it's not very common, especially if they've been fixed for a while or were neutered at a young age. If the cat was older (and thus knows what the hormones are all about) when neutered, or was just recently neutered, then he may still do so.
If he was neutered very recently, he can still have viable sperm in his reproductive tract for as long as a month after being neutered. In which case, it would be possible for a "neutered" male to get a female pregnant.
However, all mounting behavior is not necessarily sexually driven. A lot of mounting behavior, even in cats, is dominance based. So a neutered cat may very well mount another cat to exert or display his dominance over that cat.
If you aren't sure if the "neutered" cat in question is indeed neutered (i.e. you don't know if he was ever taken to a vet to be neutered), you can check - assuming he's not a feral cat and you can handle him. Lack of visible testicles mean that he IS most likely neutered, but are not an absolute guarantee. Cats can have retained testicles (called cryptorchid) just like dogs and other species. Even if you don't see any external testicles, if you can look at his penis, you can tell for sure. A neutered cat's penis will be smooth, while an intact cat will have "spines" on his penis. If he has those spines, he's got a testicle somewhere. This article shows the difference: http://catvet.homestead.com/Cryptorchid1.html

I hope that answers your question. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Dr. Z
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This cat was "given" to my daughter and they told her he was neutered, but he does more than go through the motions, we have 2 females cats that aren't fixed and they went into heat and he went crazy. It was like a porn movie on steriods, every time you turned around he was mounting the females or licking them. He still does have his testicles so I guess I will try to have to inspect his penis. But it doesn't sound like he is fixed. If he did get the two females pregnant how soon can you tell because the one cat that liked to be picked up all the time growls when you try to pick her up especially when you put her hand under her stomach.
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 5 years ago.
If he still has his testicles, he is NOT fixed. You don't need to bother inspecting his penis. When cats are neutered, the testicles are removed.

Cats are induced ovulators, which means that the female in heat ovulates when the male inserts his penis (that's what the spines on the penis are for - to trigger ovulation). Gestation is approximately 60 days - so 2 months from the time he was mounting them, you are highly likely to have your cat population increase dramatically.

An experience vet or cat breeder may be able to tell as early as 3-4 weeks that a cat is pregnant, but otherwise it may be more like 6 weeks or longer before you can really tell. And sometimes not even then. But if the girls haven't gone back into heat, there is a good chance they are pregnant. Especially from the behavior you are describing on the one.

At this point, depending on how far along they are, you have 2 choices. You can either let them have this batch of kittens, find homes for them all, and then get the moms spayed as soon as possible after. If you chose this option, you will want to get the male neutered ASAP - ideally before the kittens are born. Because female cats can come back in heat as early as 2 weeks after their kittens are born - while they are still nursing the first litter! If you wait to neuter him, you may wind up with another batch of kittens.
The second option is to go ahead and get them spayed now, whether or not they are already pregnant. Most vets will spay a pregnant cat, though some have different cut offs as far as how late in the pregnancy they will do it. I know some people have a problem with spaying a pregnant animal, associating it with abortion. However, the reality is that healthy adoptable cats and kittens are euthanized by the millions every year, and even if you manage to place every kitten your cats produce, that takes away a potential home for a cat or kitten that is already out there. As much as I hate doing it, I'd rather spay a pregnant cat than euthanize 8 or 10 week old kittens that couldn't find homes.

Hopefully this is a non-issue and he wasn't able to impregnate either of your girls. Unfortunately, I'd be willing to bet that at least the 1, if not both, are pregnant, so would recommend having them checked out as soon as possible, and getting the boy neutered even sooner.

I'm sorry if that isn't the news you were wanting to hear. But at least you don't have to try to inspect a cat penis. Wink

Dr. Z

Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Veterinarian
Experience: 13 yrs as small animal vet; 20+ yrs in animal care; cat owner for 30+ yrs