Scott Nimmo
Scott Nimmo, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS.
10315041

how many nipples do female cats have, and where are they located

how many nipples do female cats have, and where are they located? because my cat only has 2 nipples that i know of...
Category: Cat
Expert:  Scott Nimmo replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the questionCustomer

A female cat generally has eight nipples; two rows of four running down her belly. Occasionally this can be variable and you will come across a cat that has five pairs or even odd nipples.

Often the nipples are very small and hard to find as they are hidden in the fur but if you look carefully you will see they are there.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
than how am i only able to see two nipples? i may have to examine her more closely...
Hello again,

I have been asked this question quite a few times. In the spayed cat or younger cats the nipples can be very small and underdeveloped indeed, almost like small smudges.

However when I shave cats prior to abdominal surgery to cleanse the skin the nipples will be visible then. I have never in my like seen a cat with just two nipples, the rest will be there but very tiny.

Regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OHH,ok, yes, i have left out the part that my female cat is spayded, but doring the procedere, they may have left ovarian tissue behind
Hello again,

If there has been ovarian tissue left behind then you would normally see signs of your cat coming into season. It is also possible to check if there is ovarian tissue present by carrying out a blood test to check the hormone levels. While I am sure you would know what signs to look for if this is the case I will tell you the symptoms of a female cat being in season ...

1. The cat becomes more affectionate than usual.
2. Your cat rolls around the floor.

3. She carries her tail to one side.

4. The cat becomes very vocal and meows a lot. { Calling } This vocalisation can become very noisy with loud yowls day and night. Her voice may become more piercing than usual.

5. Your cat assumes a position with her hind end in the air.

6. She may lick her genital area more and may urinate more.

If your cat has ovarian tissue left behind then normally you would carry out surgery again to remove it.

Regards,

Scott

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

well, for the #2 you mentioned about her rolling on the floor, she always does that usually when we come home, and she'shappy to see us, and sometime she does that and rubs on the floor.. and #4 you mentioned meowing, yes, she does seem to meow a lot, i go to check and see if she has food and water, and she's "good to go", be i think she has a lock of being loved..

how much does it cost to get a blood test done?

Hello again,

You would know if she was coming into season again because you would only see the described behaviour for three days every three weeks, it is very noticeable and they do make a lot of noise.

The last I carried out this blood test I was in the UK and the cost was about sixty pounds. This about $90.00.

Regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
WOW... thank you scott, for the info!
No problem, glad to advise you ...

Regards,

Scott
Scott Nimmo, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: BVMS, MRCVS.