Dr. P
Dr. P, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  11 years small animal private practice & emergency.

My cat cannot breathe through nose has to breathe through mouth,

Customer Question

My cat cannot breathe through nose has to breathe through mouth, is sneezing and is pregnant?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. P replied 7 years ago.
how far along in her pregnancy is she?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
About 11/2 months, now my other kitttens that are about 6 months old have it now too. They're breathing through they're mouth, sneezing and they all seem to have appetites and drinking water. Should I just wait a couple days? The oldest cat has just gotten over it, he seems to be fine he wants to go outside.
Expert:  Dr. P replied 7 years ago.
Ok, well the good thing is that they all have appetites still. Keep their noses clean with a washcloth and warm water. The open mouth breathing is probably due to their nose congestion. They must all have upper respiratory infections (usually a herpesvirus) that they have passed amongst each other. The pregnant cat can't really go on any antibiotics because you worry about the safety of the unborn kittens. If the other kittens don't clear in another day or stop eating and drinking then they need to get into a vet. You may want to isolate the mother from the other cats before she gives birth. You don't want all the newborns to get sick. Also, make sure that all of your cats get vaccinated for their upper respiratory diseases (FVRCP). Keep everyone warm, you can use hot water bottles. Heating pads can be dangerous and burn animals. Good luck and I hope I've helped.