Doctor Douglas
Doctor Douglas, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine SGU, B.Sc. Animal Science Purdue University
13945838

what can i do if my kitten is constipated

Customer Question

My baby kitten Lu-Lu is constipated and she wont stop crying maybe because of the pain what can i do tonight until i go to the vet.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Doctor Douglas replied 7 years ago.

Hello:

I have some questions for you:

1. How old is your kitten?
  2. How long has it been since she has had a bowel movement?
  3. What are you feeding her?

Awaiting your reply.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi.

My kitten Lu-Lu is 3 week.

Lu-Lu had a bowel movement today but she stuggled alot, her sisters also are constipated

First i started feeding them lactose free milk because when I got them it was very late and a vet on a website said to give that for that night. After that I went to the pet store and got whisker kitten milk because a vet that was there said it was ok and now there all constipated. What can I do am really concern?

Hello:

Are they eating on their own or are they bottle fed? Is the mother around? How often are you stimulating the anus area?

Awaiting your reply.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Am still bottle feeding.No there mother is not around she stop feeding them and the guy who give them to me got tried of listen to them cry so he give them to me because i love animals. However i stimulate there anus area after every feeding with a warm wash cloth.

thank you

tracey anderson

Hello Tracey:

It sounds as if you are doing all of the right things. I recommend bringing in a stool sample to your veterinarian for evaluation for parasites. Your vet will also be able to examine the rectum for any potential blockages. There are also some medications such as lactulose that your vet can prescribe tonight when you get them in for their exam.