Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 18 years experience.

will it kill my cat because I gave him tylenol

Customer Question

will it kill my cat because I gave him tylenol?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Scarlett replied 7 years ago.
Can you tell me how much your cat weighs and approximately how much you gave him (ie. what mg strength was the tylenol and how much of the pill did you give him?) How long ago did you give it?
Dr. Scarlett
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I gave it to him yesterday afternoon. I think it was maybe 200mg but I only gave him less than a third of the capsule. He weighs around 14 to 16 pounds I think. My concern is his age as he is 14.
Sorry I made you accept--I meant to ask for more info. But hopefully you'll like this answer--you don't need to accept again.

So the toxic dose for cats is greater or equal to 10 mg/kg. Your cat weighs about 6 kg (going on the lowest end). So he would have a toxic dose at 60 mg. One-third of a 200 mg tylenol = 66 mg. So he is right on the edge.

I recommend taking him to your vet for some bloodwork to check his liver, kidneys, and a complete blood count. Your vet may also want to give him IV fluids and a drug called acetylcysteine for a day or so, depending on the blood results. Your vet may also give cimetidine to decrease metabolism of the tylenol.

The first signs you might see in your cat are depression, weakness, increased respiratory rate, difficulty breathing, blue gums, jaundice, vomiting, facial or paw edema, and death. Obviously it is best to get treatment to your cat before you see any clinical signs! Changes in bloodwork occur within 24-48 hours of ingesting acetominophan.

I had a MD give her cat tylenol for pain, so don't feel horrible that you thought to try it. She gave a lot more than you gave and her cat did well with fluid therapy.

Hope that helps-
Dr. Scarlett