Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

Is it healthy or harmful for a cat to eat yogurt

Is it healthy or harmful for a cat to eat yogurt?
Thanks for the question.

In direct answer to your question : Given in moderation yogurt is not harmful in any way to cats.

I know this because I have often suggested that the owners of cats who have diarrhoea give a teaspoonful of live yogurt to their cats twice a day. This has a therapeutic effect as some forms of gastro-enteritis are caused by an imbalance of bacteria in the gut and the yogurt seeds " good bacteria " back in.

Using live yogurt in this way is like humans taking those popular lactobacilli drinks which you see advertised.

If my answer is helpful to you please click Accept as this the only way I am paid for my work. If on the other hand I have not fully answered your question or you would like ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I started treating my cat yesterday with a liquid dewormer, as I found eggs on her fur. Will the yogurt help with this as well, or should I not give her yogurt while also using dewormer?

Hello again.

1. The yogurt will not act directly against the worms but it may help prevent any gastro-intestinal upset from an oral wormer.

2. It is fine to give the yogurt and the wormer together.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My last question. I greatly appreciate your help. How often would you recommend giving the cats yogurt? I have 2. Both female & indoor. 1 & 1 1/2 years old. Thank you again.
Hello again,

No problem, please ask as many questions as you like.

It would be fine to add a teaspoonful of live yogurt to their food once a day.