Pets_Doc
Pets_Doc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Chief of Staff, Senior ER Clinician
10983809
Cat

Is Miconazole Nitriate veginal cream toxic to cats I put

Is Miconazole Nitriate veginal cream... Show More
Is Miconazole Nitriate veginal cream toxic to cats? I put it in my cats ears because they have a yeast infection. Of course they try to lick it off and now one of them is salivating.
Category: Cat
replied 8 years ago.

This product is relatively non-toxic if ingested. Cats tend to have what we would call "severe reactions" to drugs or other things that taste bad. Miconazole is a bitter tasting drug and if ingested will often casue drooling, or foaming at the mouth, almost to the point that they appear ot have rabies. The drug however should cause no clinical problems other than stomach upset.

I hope that this is helpful.

Dr. G

Customer reply replied 8 years ago.
Do you think Miconazole will help clear up the ringworm/yeast infection?
Pets_Doc, Cat Veterinarian replied 8 years ago.

This treatment is a veterinayr standard fpr ringworm. With appropriate treatment eveyr 12 to 24 hours for UP TO 6 WEEKS, this is more than likely to clear the problem. Otherwise, if it does not, there is another underlying cause.

Dr. G

Customer reply replied 8 years ago.

Like what-feline aids or leukemia? My 10 year old siamese mix has black junk all over in her ears. She is the cat most effected by this infection and I actually have veterinarion precribed shampoo and oral medication for her. If it is working, it sure is slow. Can you tell me how to best clean out her ears?

Fungal infections are extremely slow to clear up. In some cases (just like athlete's foot in people) it may take 6 to 12 weeks of treatment to cure. No drug ever invented has speeded up this process. For immunosuppressed pets (FIV/FeLV) the healing process may take even longer. For ear cleaning, you should consider a commercial pet ear wash - flush the ears once daily for up to 2 weeks.

Dr. G