Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 18 years experience.

My cat ate some of my aloe vera plant over 12 hours ago while

Customer Question

My cat ate some of my aloe vera plant over 12 hours ago while I was in bed, and I just noticed now. She is behaving like her usual self, although I just have read that these plants are toxic to cats.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Scarlett replied 7 years ago.

Aloe vera is considered a toxic plant, but the gel part is edible. The toxic component is the whitish sap (contains saponins) right below the skin. The gel part is what is used to make the laxatives, emollients, burn creams, etc. and is non-toxic.

So if she mainly ate the gel part inside, she should be just fine, especially since she ate it 12 hours ago.

Dr. Scarlett
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i don't understand how she could eat the gel part of the plant without eating some of the sap. however some 3 days later, she is fine.

Glad to hear she is doing well. Truthfully I wasn't sure, either, but figured there was a lot more gel than there is sap.

Dr. Scarlett