Courtney Carroll, DVM
Courtney Carroll, DVM, Veterinarian
Experience:  5 years experience as a small animal and exotics veterinarian

What does it mean if my cat has blood in her urine Shes 4

What does it mean if my cat has blood in her urine? She's 4 yrs old, and when she was 5 months old she went missing for 2 weeks. I found her at a neighbours, trapped in a dismantled chimney flue, and all she'd had to live on was creosote soaked water. It took her six months to recover, but she's been healthy since until yesterday, I noticed she was having trouble peeing, and this morning, I found a white towel she'd been on, and it had blood on it, as well as urine. I've also noticed in the last week, she has lost weight, but she's still very perky and up to her usual crazy antics.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Courtney Carroll, DVM replied 7 years ago.
It's probably a cystitis. Cystitis is a common condition of cats where the inside lining of the bladder becomes very inflammed and ulcerates. It's very painful and the ulcerations cause blood in the urine. We aren't sure why it happens--lots of research is being done on that topic right now. At any rate, you need to take her to the vet tomorrow