ERAnimalNurse, Emergency Critical Care Nurse
Experience:  16+ years of veterinary experience

my cat is throwing up and wont eat or drink or pee or poop.

Customer Question

my cat is throwing up and won't eat or drink or pee or poop. he just had x-rays and nothing was wrong with him. aMy vet decided it was stress related as i brought him to my parent's house for christmas, but he has been home for 2 days now and he is still doing these things. what else might it be? other than those listed above, he acts completely normal, playing and active
Category: Cat
Expert:  ERAnimalNurse replied 7 years ago.

I am sorry your kitty is having so much trouble.

How old is he exactly?

Is he neutered?

Recently vaccinated (within last few weeks)?

Does he go outside?

Did your vet run any blood tests or take any x-rays?

Did your vet put him on any meds?

Has he been tested for feline aids and leukemia? Has he been dewormed?

Let me know and i will try to help.....

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
he is one year and 2-3 months (I adopted him, and they are not sure on the exact date of birth). He is neutered, not vaccinated in the last few weeks, he does not go outside, x rays yes, blood test, no, no meds, he tested negative for leukemia and was de-wormed about a month ago, i would assume as I got him from a reputable shelter in manhattan. Thanks so much!

Thanks for the additional information. I am pretty worried about your kitty, and want you to take him back to the vet immediately. It is VERY dangerous for a kitty to go too long without being able to eat, and as long as your kitty is vomiting, he cannot take anything in orally. In addition to not eating, he is not passing urine or feces, and this is dangerous as well. Kidneys and liver have very sprcific nutritional requirements, and ca start to shut down without adequate nutritional support. Cats in particular are prone to an illness called hepatic lilpidosis, which can occur if a kitty loses too much weight in a short period or if kitty doesn't eat enough. Please see the following website for more information on hepatic lipidosis.

Even though your kitty is currently playing and acting normally otherwise, this will not last. The longer he is not able to eat, defecate or urinate, the more dehydrated and decompensated he will become. It will save you alot of money and your kitty alot of discomfort and complications if you have him seen ASAP.

Possible causes of the symptoms you are seeing include things like pancreatitis, which can occur if kitty ingested some people food or garbage. This illness is life threatening and typically requires hospitalization and iv fluids to treat. An ultrasound is more helpful than x-rays to diagnose pancreatitis. Another possibility is that your kitty swallowed a foreign object and is experiencing an obstruction. Even though your vet took some radiographs, this is still possible as sometimes a series of films is necessary to identify this problem.

Your kitty needs an exam, some bloodwork and some more radiographs, and maybe an ultrasound. Please try to have him seen ASAP so that he can feel better. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. If this has been helpful, please hit the green accept button. Good luck!