My cat has been sneezing and drooling and has been silent and withdrawn for 2 days. Until today his appetite was good. I picked him up and he lost control of his bladder. He is using his box and moving about the house somewhat. My other cat had just been treated with an upper respiratory infection and I have tried giving this one some of the antibiotics called CETA Drops. I live in the country and my vet is not open until monday morning. Any advice? This happened Xmas eve. He seems more active but now not eating but the drool has dissapated. He still sounds congested when breathing.
Age: 2; Male; Breed: Siamese Cross
Here is what I have tried. I have isolated him somewhat. I moved his box. I have fed him chopped hard boiled egg to coax him to eat. Have been giving him CETA Drops for 3rd day. However, I see no evidence he is drinking water and now not eating which I hoped would put moisture into him. I picked him up and he lost his bladder. He was drooling when this first hit him long ropey foamy drool that matted his hair. My other just got over an upper respiratory infection hence I had the ceta drops. My vet will see him monday but I just want to do everything to keep him strong until then. I live no where near an emergency clinic and frankly I can't tell if he is doing better or not. He is more active than two days ago but the breathing sounds congested and the losing the bladder scared me. He wants nothing to do with me because I have been giving him the medicine.
It is likely that this kitty is battling an upper repiratory infection, much like your other kitty did - signs are consistent with that, andt hese types of infections are very contagious. These are typically viral in nature in cats, but antibiotics do aid in recovery since they keep secondary bacterial infection at bay, allowing the patient to feel better, eat and drink better, and subsequently gain their strength to recover faster.
I believe the antibiotic you are referring to is not CETA, but CEFA Drops, a good choice for upper respiratory infections in cats. However, once reconstituted, the CEFA is only good for 10-14 days. If the drop forumlation is older than this, it could be a reason why it is not helping your cat. Also, if the medication is underdosed, this could also be a reason why the it may not be helping.
If the CEFA is older than 14 days, I would not bother giving it any further, as it will not help. If the CEFA is less than 14 days old and you have enough to get you through to Monday morning when you can see your vet, then it would probably be a good idea to continue administering it, but make certain the dose is correct: 1 mL per 5 pounds of body weight, administered orally two times daily (every 12 hours).
Another way you can concurrently help your kitty is to administer an over the counter antihistamine. Chlorpheniramine is available over the counter under several different trade names, and in various forms, such as capsules, tablets, or liquid. You can help to reduce sneezing, congestion, and stimulate appetite by administering this antihistamine orally two times daily (every 12 hours). The dose is 2 mg for cats between 5-10 pounds, and 4 mg for cats over 10 pounds. It would be best to consult with a pharmacist for the most appropriate form and brand for the mg dosage necessary to treat your cat based on the dose provided.
Be sure to get your kitty to your vet first thing Monday morning for further instructions.
Licensed Veterinarian, Practice Owner, and Book Author
I will try the antihistimine in the morning. Yes, the Cefa is less than 14 days. I had my other cat in just last week. So I will stick with it. I plan on rinsing everything in bleach water in the morning since I understand this is a pesky bacteria. Menace just came down stairs and wandered around and let me pet and hold him so maybe he is feeling a shade better. I will definitely have him at the vet Monday as he has a 10 am appointment. Right now he is still having a wheezing cough but it not all the time. He sounds like he has a stuffed sinus sounds in humans. Thanks for the quick help I mostly wanted to make sure he was not in dire straits until monday. I will watch him closely. I have 3 cats and a dog. So I have a full house. Menace's brother ( Phantom) who had this as a kitten has shown no signs of infection so I have my fingers crossed. He and his brother were abandoned by their mother in my yard two years ago and were so little there eyes were still blue. I bottle fed and weaned them both so as you can imagine they are my "kids".