Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

my cat has become lethargic and listless, with laboured breathing

my cat has become lethargic and listless, with laboured breathing (shallow and rapid) over the last 12 hours. what could the matter with her be? She is 11 years old and usually very active.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 7 years ago.

Hi there,

Is she an indoor kitty?

Are her gums pale?

Is she able to potty normally?

Is she taking aany meds or have any known illnesses?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi Terri, merry Christmas!

Yes she's a indoor cat, and her gums (and usually very pink nose) are pale. Not sure on the potty front - haven't seen her go today - but the litter tray is out the way so unless we watch them (we have three in total!) we're unlikely to. No longterm illnesses and regular vet visits (annually) have not thrown up anything before.

Expert:  Terri replied 7 years ago.

Hi there, Merry Christmas to you as well!!

I am very concerned about your girl because pale gums indicate anemia or shock. If she is anemic she may not be getting enough oxygenated blood to her organs, hence the rapid breathing.

If you have an ER vet she should be seen ASAP.

In the meantime, if she is not diabetic, put a drop of pancake syrup in her mouth to raise her blood sugar.

Give her tuna water or milk.

Make sure she is warm by placing her on a low heating pad with a towel inbetween. Or warm raw rice in socks in the microwave and place them around her. Warm her food as well.

Please let me know how she is doing. I hope all will be well.

Best wishes for her,