Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

My adult male neutered cat is urinating on the floor instead

My adult male neutered cat is urinating on the floor instead of the litter box and I can see blood in his urine. I've already taken him to the vet and they took x-rays, blood tests, and urine tests, and told me everything is normal. What should I do?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 7 years ago.

Hi there,

How old is he?

When was he seen by a vet?

How long do you notice blood in his urine?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
He is about 4 years old. I've been noticing the blood for a few weeks. We've taken him to the vet twice - once a few weeks ago when we first noticed it. The vet put him on antibiotics and he seemed to get better, then about a week after the medicine was used up, I noticed it again and took him back - that was about 2 weeks ago.
Expert:  Terri replied 7 years ago.

Dear friend,

I do not want to alarm you but I am very concerned about your boy.These are very serious and can even be life threatening symptoms Any time there is blood he is either sick or in pain.

- I think he has a urinary tract infection and is in danger of becoming blocked.

UTI's are serious in males because they are caused by sticky crystals in the bladder.At any time they can block the urethra.Since this is going on a while your boy is in great danger.Cats are very stoic animals so he may not cry out.

If he becomes unable to urinate that is a MEDICAL EMERGENCY . His bladder could burst and he would have to be catheterized to save his life.

If that is the case, you must take him to the vet right away. Even the ER if he blocks. may finance his visit if money is an issue.

He may have a UTI that can be treated economically.

UTI's must be treated with an effective broad spectrum antibiotic like Clavamox or clidimycin and for a long enough duration so all bacteria is eradicated. If not, they will refluorish, stronger and more resistant and reinfect him. In addition, the bacteria can become tolerant of the same antibiotic so the medication should be varied for best results.

You can give him a few drops of unsweetened cranberry juice or 100 mg of vitamin C - That will reduce the PH of his urine but it is only to make him feel better.He still needs to see a vet for an antibiotic.Plus he needs to take it long enough so the symptoms wont return.

Please let me know how he is doing .I will be here till late tonight to help further.

I hope he feels better very soon.

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Very sincerely,