Dr. Hinson
Dr. Hinson, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  11+ years experience in the veterinary field. Experience with small, large and exotic species.
10679819

What is the BEST TREATMENT for WET FORM FIP For recovery.

What is the BEST TREATMENT for WET FORM FIP? For recovery.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Hinson replied 5 years ago.
The effusive form of FIP is characterized by an accumulation of fluid in the abdomen, or less commonly in the chest. Early in the disease, the cat may exhibit similar symptoms to the dry form, including weight loss, fever, loss of appetite, and lethargy. The wet form of the disease often progresses rapidly, and the cat may quickly appear pot-bellied due to fluid accumulation in the abdomen. When the fluid accumulation becomes excessive, it may become difficult for the cat to breathe normally.

Unfortunately, there is no known cure or effective treatment for FIP at this time. Some treatments may induce short-term remissions in a small percentage of cats; however, FIP is a fatal disease. Treatment is generally aimed at supportive care, such as good nursing care and nutrition, and alleviating the inflammatory response of the disease. Cats with FIP are often treated with corticosteroids, cytotoxic drugs, and antibiotics. Supportive care may also include fluid therapy, draining accumulated fluids, and blood transfusions.

You will need to speak to your vet about these treatments. There is nothing you can treat your cat with at home. There are no home remedies. The best chance your cat has is to be treated by a vet. It is a fatal disease so all you will be doing by treating is buying him some time. Again, it cannot be cured.

I'm sorry that I don't have better news for you. Let me know if you have more questions.

Dr. Hinson
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I was given by my vet Ivy fluid and I have been giving him fluid at home and I have predisone but she did not give me antibiotic should I ask for antibiotic or not? she did not recommend blood transfusion with FIP is this a good option.

Does FIP causes a drop in body temperature or rise?

I cannot tell you if the blood transfusion is a good option. That will need to be determined by your vet based on bloodwork results.

Antibiotics is not going to cure the FIP. FIP is caused by a virus and viruses cannot be treated with antibiotics. The only thing antibiotics would do is possibly prevent a secondary bacterial infection.

The prednisone may slow the progression of the disease but it is not likely. The wet form of the disease is always fatal.

With the fluids you are giving at home, I am assuming you are administering them under the extra skin on his neck? To be getting I.V. fluids he would need to have a catheter in one of his veins. Does he have that?

FIP usually causes a high fever that is unresponsive or only minimally responsive to medications. In the later stages of the disease when the body is shutting down you may see a drop in body temperature.

Dr. Hinson
Dr. Hinson, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: 11+ years experience in the veterinary field. Experience with small, large and exotic species.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What is strange is that he never had any fever at all. He always ate food and drank alot but when I came back from 2 week vacation there was no water in the bowl for a while I wonder is he just dehydrated honestly he had a drop of temperature for few hours but now he is almost back to normal so maybe he doesn't have FIP cause he doesnt have high fever at all and he is able to go to the bathroom on his own and he seem to do better than yesterday I went back to my vet today and she told me he might not make it out but he pulled through %25 so far I wonder what he as if he doesn't have FIP any suggestion?

I am assuming you are administering them under the extra skin on his neck?

yes
Well, I would hope he doesn't have FIP because it is fatal. If he has the wet form that is much easier to diagnose than the dry form of the disease. If your vet removes some of the abdominal fluid it will be bright yellow and that is a sure indication it is FIP. Also, they will have a very high protein level on their bloodwork. Those are two big indicators. Unfortunately there is no good, 100% test for this disease. Diagnosis is based on clinical signs most of the time. If your vet thinks he has FIP then he probably does.

If your cat was just dehydrated the fluids you are giving at home should turn him around. If it doesn't you should either go back to your vet or go to a different vet for a second opinion. They are the only ones that can give you a good idea of other things that could be going on. It is difficult for me to say because I cannot examine the cat and I do not have the bloodwork results to help me.

If he has not had a full panel of bloodwork at this point I think that would be the next step.

Dr. Hinson

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes she took yellow fluid from his stomact and thinks he has FIP we did blood work pcr waiting for result tuesday but honeslty he seem to get better than this morning plus he never had high fever unless he did when i was not home from dec 2-18 thats why he didnt eat and got skinny but if its his end stage of FIP thats why the temperature drop do they usually die when its the end of the stage. he managed to get back up and walk to the bathroom and this morning he couldnt and this evening he walks much better and he seem to be %25 better than last night and this morning. I hope he gets better he is such a nice kitten only 3 months old sooo young it breaks my heart to see him like this. I ordered the feline vacine and will have to give them all their shots exept the little one since he is too weak plus it doesnt work if you have it already
<p>Yes, unfortunately, it sounds pretty diagnostic that the kitten has FIP. I am sorry but this is a fatal disease and it is likely you are just buying him a little time. The fluids may be making him feel better but it is not a cure. I would just keep doing what you are doing and wait for the test results before making any more decisions about how to proceed. I know it is heart breaking but I'm afraid this isn't something you are going to be able to cure him of.   They die at the end stage because all the internal organs begin to fail. </p><p> </p><p>Dr. Hinson</p>
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Today he is feeling better and his stomact is less swollen and he pees on his own his temperature is normal and he eats a little on his own I think he is trying to fight it. I know someone who had a cat with fip and they made it out ok

I will let you know what happens in the end but I think he is in good hands now. The angel are watching over him I pray for him and I believe he will be saved. I will have faith and prove my vet wrong.

I am going to the vet now and have him checked but his heart rate is much slower I will have xray done to see how he his organs are doing and if fluids needs to be removed we will keep at it until he pulls through . My vet said he would have died yesterday and he made it through so far so maybe there is hope you have to keep postive you never know what life will bring.
I'm glad to hear he is feeling better today. I do think there is always a chance but I don't want you to get your hopes up too high just to be disappointed. I have never seen a kitten with the wet form of FIP "make it through". Dry form, yes but wet form, no. Your friend's cat may have had the dry form or may have had feline leukemia or feline aids as many people get the three disease mixed up.

Regardless, I will keep him in my prayers. Please keep me updated. Happy Holidays!

Dr. Hinson
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Dr Hinson,

I went to a new Vet Today and I did x ray and he had a lot of fluids around his organs. The Vet told me he had FIP he had high count of white blood cell she then showed me how to remove fluid and I removed fluid from him and now he is eating on his own its a miracle maybe GOD is watching over him. We saved 2 cats on the verge of death and I won't let Mimo go I will fight for him as much I can.

We got home from the Vet she told me to keep doing what I am doing but to becareful not to remove too much fluid from him or else he might get infection.

After removing fluid, I gave him garlic oil, vitamin e, vitamin a, and honey plus electrolyte water as well as ivy fluid and then he started to eat kentucky fried chicken I was soo happy to see him eat on his own without us feeding him and he also went to drink on his own. His temperature is now normal and he pees on his own and even went to take his first poop in days. I will keep you updated.

I don't know the lady personally I read it online and called her at home found her on 411 and she told me her cat at wet form and lived for 12 yrs and her vet was shocked he survived she told me to give him the garlic, vitamin e, a and honey plus ivy and remove fluid and predisone maybe all this will work out I don't know but I will have faith in god and I think the Angels are watching over him cause they know how hard we are trying to save him like with we did with Frosty and Mickey they are now living with my parents and are happy when all the vets told me they were going to die. Thats why I take care of my own pets I don't trust anyone taking care of my pets. I can't even trust Pet sitters.

I will keep you posted I hope all this will work out I will keep praying for him like I did for Frosty and Mickey and maybe god and the angels will answer my prayers for the new year.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Dr Hinson,

We removed 6ml of fluid about 2 syringes tonight and the doctor removed 1 syringe about 3 ml which total 9 ml per day. How much do you think we should remove per day?

The xray did show fluid is it dangerous to remove 20 ml per day as long as he eats on his own and we inject fluid
That sounds about right for a kitten that size. I wouldn't do more than that without your vet's OK. I would not be comfortable telling you how much can remove safely without examining the kitten myself, seeing the xrays, etc. I would keep going as you have been and call your vet tomorrow and ask.

I hope that helps!

Dr. Hinson
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Well I know most vets I have seen say its fatal but I want to keep fighting and just hoping for MIRACLE. I know its a chance out of a million. I know he is not feeling too good today. I will keep trying there is nothing more I can do at this time but hope for a mirable maybe god will answer my prayer. I heard that L Lysine will help give him protein and also giving him vitamin c twice daily L arcasic acid. I know not many cats have surived it but the few that have I have to have faith with those that did make it. I am following adivce of what they did at this time.