Dr. K
Dr. K, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years experience as Veterinarian
7189224

When my cat breathes or tries to purr, it sounds like she is

When my cat breathes or tries to purr, it sounds like she is congested or having a hard time breathing. I recently brought her to the vet, and the vet took ex rays and said that my cat has a large tumor growing in her chest area which may be cancerous. My cat is still eating but she has lost a lot of weight.Could my vet be wrong? Do you think that she just has a bad cold? Please , I need answers.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. K replied 8 years ago.
HiCustomer
How old is your kitty?
Does your cat have any discharge from her nose or eyes?
For how long has she been making this congested sound when she is breathing?

Dr. K
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
My cat is 13 yrs old and she has a little discharge from her eyes (but not green or yellow). She sneezes alot and is very thin. Sha has been this way for about 2 weeks.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Expert:  Dr. K replied 8 years ago.
Do you notice any increase in her level of thirst?
How much weight has she lost?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
She drinks and eats like normal. She has lost at least 5 pounds. I can feel her spine to a point where it's terrible feeling.
Expert:  Dr. K replied 8 years ago.
With the degree of weight loss that you describe, coupled with the difficulty breathing, and the findings on X-ray as reported by your veterinarian, cancer in the lungs is certainly a high probability. This is not very typical of a cat with a cold. The symptoms usually do not last as long as two weeks with a simple cold, and there is not usually such a severe degree of weight loss.
Because I cannot see these X-rays for myself, I cannot tell you for certain whether or not I agree with your veterinarian's diagnosis. All I can tell you is that this diagnosis is not unlikely given your cat's age and symptoms. I strongly recommend that you ask your veterinarian for your kitty's medical records and X-rays, so that you can take them to another veterinarian for a second opinion. The other vet will also want to examine your cat, and can then tell you if they agree or disagree with your vet. If you hear this same diagnosis from two separate veterinarians, then it is more likely that cancer is the case.

I hope that this information is of help to you, and I wish you the best of luck with your kitty. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Dr. K