Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management

My cat is scratching her back rear end and is getting raw.

My cat is scratching her back rear end and is getting raw. Should I take her to a doctor? What could she have?
I am sorry to hear about your cat.
Scratching at the back end can be caused by a few problems.
#1 #1 Even if you do not see fleas. You got to do flea control. Frontline for cats and Advantage are easy to find and I would strongly recommend you do flea control. Just in case.
#2 Psycogenic alopecia. This is more of a behavioral issue, where cats lick themselves a lot. Doesn't really sound like this.
#3 Anal gland impaction. Cats and dogs have anal glands. Little glands just inside of their rectum. If they get impacted, they can become very uncomfortable, and they will keep licking back there.
#4 Allergies are a very common problem

Any of these conditions can be examined and/or tested for by a veterinarian. In addition, they can recommend antibiotics, if necessary, and steroids to help control the scratching and make them comfortable.

Hope that helps.
Good Luck.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.