Anna, Cat Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Thirty years of cat ownership. Writer for cat/pet magazines. B.A. in biology. Vet assistant.

what would cause a cat to drool or slobber at the mouth and

what would cause a cat to drool or slobber at the mouth and what are the sure signs of rabies and the cat ate on a tues. morning and found on a thurs, could rabies show up that soon

Some additional information will help me to answer your question.

Has the cat ever received a rabies vaccination? If so, how many times and how long ago?

Is the cat unwilling to eat or drink now?

Thank you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
his rabies shot was due in sept,only one time that i know of, how long can a cat go with getting another shot, how long can you wait till it is no good, he is unwilling to eat or drink, he just sniffs
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
waiting for the answer i9 hope, could it be a tooth
Thank you for getting back to me. This isn't likely to be rabies. The vaccinations are most likely good for at least several months past the due date. You would also be likely to find a bite wound on your cat if he had been exposed to rabies. The average incubation period for rabies in cats is 2 to 6 weeks after being bitten. However, the incubation period can be as long as 6 months.

The first signs to show up are often behavior changes - affection from a previously aloof cat, aggression from agentle cat, etc. Other early signs can include fever, loud meowing, and biting objects. In the next stage of rabies, a cat is likely to become irritable, restless, and vicious. Finally, paralysis sets in. That is when you’ll see foaming or drooling because the cat can’t swallow due to paralyzed throat muscles.

There are more common causes of excessive drooling. One of the most common is that the cat has exposed to or eaten something toxic. Many flea treatments can cause drooling. while outdoors, the cat may have eaten a lizard or toad that can cause such a reaction. Many different poisons can cause drooling, too.

As you suspect, a dental problem is another common cause of drooling and appetite loss. A broken tooth or an abscessed tooth could be to blame. Other problems in the mouth, an injury for example, could also be responsible.

Sometimes the viruses that cause respiratory infections can cause excessive drooling. If you also see discharge from the nose or eyes, sneezing or coughing, lethargy, and/ or appetite loss, one of these infections may be to blame.

I recommend that you take your cat to the vet today. The longer you wait, the more difficult it will be to treat whatever is wrong. A cat that isn't eating is also prone to developing hepatic lipidosis, which is life-threatening. I would also get the rabies vaccine updated as soon as your vet feels it is safe. It's not recommended to vaccinate a cat that is ill. If you have more questions, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope your cat will be fine.