Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

Why does my cat poop on the floor Sometimes right after I

Why does my cat poop on the floor? Sometimes right after I clean the litter box. It started when I was pregnant. How do I make her stop?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 8 years ago.

When a cat starts eliminating inappropriately, it's either due to a medical reason like a urinary tract infection, crystals (tiny particles which develop in urine that is not acidic enough), an intestinal problem, or the cause is behavioral.

First, you have to rule out the medical possibility, so it would be a good idea to have your cat evaluated by the vet, as soon as possible, for a definite diagnosis and treatment, if necessary. Bring a fresh fecal sample with you for analysis to expedite things.

If a cat experiences pain upon urination or defecation, she will come to associate the PLACE of eliminating--the litterbox itself--with that pain, and then choose to eliminate ANYWHERE else. Cats in this situation usually choose 'soft' materials to go on, thinking this will avoid the pain. Carpet, throw rugs, bathmats, clothing, sofas and beds are usual favorite places.

In order to prevent your cat from returning to the places she's already soiled (if she smells it, she'll keep thinking they are appropriate toileting places), you can use an enzymatic cleaner to completely remove all traces of stain and odor. Nature's Miracle and Zero Odor are good products for this purpose, and can be found in most pet supply stores, and online. For more info and to view all related products, please see:

http://www.petcarecentral.com/nm-155.html
http://www.allivet.com/Equalizer-Carpet-Stain-and-Odor-p/26942.htm
www.zeroodorstore.com
http://www.redhotcarpetcleaning.com/en-us/simple-solution-faq.html

Cats can also sometimes start eliminating inappropriately if there has been any kind of change in their lives or environment, as this causes stress and anxiety. If the reason for eliminating outside the litterbox is NOT found to be medical, it would have to be treated as behavioral.

Cats are creatures of habit and do not take kindly to change. If you found that you being pregnant coincided with your cat's inappropriate elimination, this might be a stress reaction to the changes in your household, your routine and how you were acting while pregnant. Also, if the baby is already born, new sounds, scents, etc., may be freaking her out.

Feliway/Comfort Zone for Cats, is a cat-appeasing pheromone which can help to calm stressed cats and curb marking and/or inappropriate elimination. It comes in both a spray and plug-in diffuser. The diffuser plugs into an electrical outlet like an air freshener, but has no scent to humans. For more information, please see:

http://www.catfaeries.com/feliway.html

Major pet supply stores carry Feliway, you can also order it online, and some vet offices carry it.

There's another product which I think may help you get your kitty back to using the litterbox--it's a clumping kitty litter called 'Cat Attract'--it contains herbal attractants which encourage use of the litterbox. It too, may be found in major pet supply stores.

You should have more than one litterbox, if you don't, already. Some cats prefer to urinate in one box and defecate in another. The rule of thumb is usually one box per cat, plus one. If you have a multi-story house, a box on each level is also appropriate and usually prevents accidents. Of course, keep all boxes immaculately clean at all times, as some cats are very fussy about this, too.

Keep in mind that first you should bring your cat to the vet to determine if the cause of eliminating outside the litterbox has a medical basis.

I hope all goes well, and this problem is resolved
for you and your kitty, very soon!

Cher